Unusual A/C Problem 97 Explorer XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Unusual A/C Problem 97 Explorer XLT

cpeters1965

Reaction score
City, State
Chapel Hill, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT
Good afternoon all,
I have a unusual problem when running my A/C. It will only blow cold when it is set to MAX A/C. If I adjust it to regular the vents blow hot. Have any of you encountered this and if so, what were the cause(s) and fixes? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IF your AC compressor is running on the other "AC settings" but its hot, you have a blender door issue... lots of posts. IF your compressor is not running on said settings, your have a control switch issue.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is a "blender door"? Also how hard is it to replace the switch?

It sounds like an electrical issue usually associated with the resistor Bord behind the controls.

Good afternoon all,
I have a unusual problem when running my A/C. It will only blow cold when it is set to MAX A/C. If I adjust it to regular the vents blow hot.

Definately the blend door. Very common issue, there's tons of reading material on here. You can even google it and you'll come up with all kinds of fixes. I choose the cut from below method. Worked like a charm! Takes about an hour or two, cost for the door I believe is around 18 bucks.

Blend door. Cut a hole in the front of the plenum, reach in there and move it manually. Any other fix is too expensive and time consuming. I'd bet you a million dollars its the blend door. Happened to me in a 97. Not much you can do about it if you do'nt want to do it manually.

I am having the exact issue. A/C is ice cold when set to MAX A/C but warm when the knob is set to Normal A/C. The A/C clutch engages on both settings. I thought the blend door problem resulted in warm air no matter what setting you had it on. The door is basically not closing (or opening, I dont know which makes it cold) So why would changing it from Normal to Max make any difference? Seems to me that if its the blend door the A/C wouldnt work no matter what position the knob was in. Am I wrong?

It sounds like an electrical issue usually associated with the resistor Bord behind the controls.

Hey robertoa1a, can you give us any more info on what you posted as well?

when you set it to max ac it shuts off coolant to the heater core, which means no more heat. i just went through this with my 96 ex. my blend door wasnt broke on the inside, it was broke where the actuator goes into it. so i drilled a hole through the actuator and put a nail in it. there is a thread on here that shows you how. i would look into that before cutting holes.

click on the sticky for blend door fix, go to the #20 reply, then click on the one that says blenddoorfix.netfirms. thats how i fixed mine. just be careful where you drill the hole, mine was different than where it shows in pics. hopefully that is where yours is broke.

Back