• Register Today It's free!

A/C problem is driving me crazy.

philip99

Reaction score
City, State
madera
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ford explorer xlt
I recently agreed to fix a friends a/c problem. She has a compressor litterally blow up and did nothing for about to years. She came to me and i agreed to fix the problem but would require alot of parts. I replaced the compressor, condensor, reciever/drier, orfice tube, expansion valve and High and low pressure switch. Mabye a little overkill with the switches but didn't want to take any chances. I also flushed every part of the system u could think of. My problem is that the low side pressure is reading about 60psi and High side at about 225-250, The high side fluctuates from 225-250 very rapidly. I'm at a stand still and would appreciate someone elses help on this problem

Let's start at the beginning...

You have a better than average knowledge of the a/c system apparently by the work you listed here.. That is good...

Correct me if I make assumptions here but you did vacuum the system down right? For how long?

What type of refrigerant oil and how much was installed into the system?

How did you charge the system after vacuuming and leak check? By weight or by pressure?

And with the high side pressures you are getting, what is the ambient temperature and what are the vent temps?

Is the fan clutch working properly to pull air through the condensor when the vehicle warms up?

One thing I did years ago when I replaced a condensor was I put a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator to prevent damage and then didn't remove it... Not saying you did this but is the path clear between the grille through the fan shroud?

If the ambient temp is around 95-110F the high side pressures are not that far off...When the compressor fluctuates on the high side does the low side do the same thing?

And finally does this unit have front and rear a/c on it? If so does the rear a/c have approx the same vent temps as the front?

I used pag oil. And the system calls for 13oz of oil. No the low side refrigerant doesn't fluctuate at all its just to high. Yes it has rear a/c and im putting the the refrigerant in by weight not psi. And lastly it feels like the fan clutch is pulling properly. Im replacing the compressor yet again today so im hoping by some miracle the compressor is slightly faulty. The temperature outside was 101 degrees. The high side pressure seems ok but the fluctuating is what i dont like and my low side is at 55-60 which is way to high.

Back