A/C Problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A/C Problems

terminator0723

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer XLT
Lo! About a year ago I got my 98 Explorer from a relative... She told me the A/C recently went out! So when I got it, I put 2 can's of refrigerant in it with stop leak... Worked out great.... For about 2 weeks... Then I was cruising along the hwy in about 95 degree temps and noticed I was getting warmer and warmer.... The truck wasn't putting out exactly cold air anymore..... The compressor would kick on and cut back off after a few secs.. Well I kinda forgot about it till today.. I rolled down my windows and was still hot as hell and I wanted a/c! Cut the A/C on heard the compressor kick in... then off again.... So I went and got some refrigerant with a gauge... Turned the truck on and hooked it up... It read 35 PSI in the system... then it dropped to 25 and back up to 35 as the compressor kicked on and off.... so I put the 19oz can (16 oz of R-134A and 3 oz of lubricant, including a cleaner, o-ring conditioner, and leak sealer) in and the psi went to 65+. Got in the truck, the air felt great.. Heard the compressor clicking again.... I re hooked the gauge up and it was reading 35psi again.... I rode home with the a/c on.. For it to have been 70 degree's out, the a/c was cool but I think it shoulda been alot cooler... Any idea's? I'm thinking it may be a leak getting bad because im pretty sure I heard a hissing noise when I shut off my truck.... Any Ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lo! About a year ago I got my 98 Explorer from a relative... She told me the A/C recently went out! So when I got it, I put 2 can's of refrigerant in it with stop leak... Worked out great.... For about 2 weeks... Then I was cruising along the hwy in about 95 degree temps and noticed I was getting warmer and warmer.... The truck wasn't putting out exactly cold air anymore..... The compressor would kick on and cut back off after a few secs.. Well I kinda forgot about it till today.. I rolled down my windows and was still hot as hell and I wanted a/c! Cut the A/C on heard the compressor kick in... then off again.... So I went and got some refrigerant with a gauge... Turned the truck on and hooked it up... It read 35 PSI in the system... then it dropped to 25 and back up to 35 as the compressor kicked on and off.... so I put the 19oz can (16 oz of R-134A and 3 oz of lubricant, including a cleaner, o-ring conditioner, and leak sealer) in and the psi went to 65+. Got in the truck, the air felt great.. Heard the compressor clicking again.... I re hooked the gauge up and it was reading 35psi again.... I rode home with the a/c on.. For it to have been 70 degree's out, the a/c was cool but I think it shoulda been alot cooler... Any idea's? I'm thinking it may be a leak getting bad because im pretty sure I heard a hissing noise when I shut off my truck.... Any Ideas?

Did you use one of those guages that are on the recharge kit/hose or did you use a set of manifold gauges.. You could either have an overcharged system, a dirty/clogged orifice tube, etc.. I'd recommend getting a set of R134a manifold gauges and checking the low & high pressures when the AC kicks on.. I found that those guages on the recharge kit/hose are not accurate.

Did you use one of those guages that are on the recharge kit/hose or did you use a set of manifold gauges.. You could either have an overcharged system, a dirty/clogged orifice tube, etc.. I'd recommend getting a set of R134a manifold gauges and checking the low & high pressures when the AC kicks on.. I found that those guages on the recharge kit/hose are not accurate.
Ah really? Yeah thats what I was using... one on the recharge kit

Ah really? Yeah thats what I was using... one on the recharge kit

If there is a harbor freight close to you, you can pick up a set for around $50-60.. I'd start there, run the AC on max and hook up the guages.. the blue is the low pressure & red is high pressure, the yellow is the vacuum/refill line, if you need to fill the system you'll need a tap for it. Check the pressures, they are temperature sensitive so it will vary depending on ambient temperature outside.

Can you calculate how long the compressor runs before cycling?

It Isnt long at all.... It kicks on for about 5-10 seconds.. then it shuts off....

Edit: I just went and listened to it... It's actually about 30 seconds give or take.... It Seemed a lot quicker when I was under the hood with that gauge.... When it cuts off is the click a heck of a lot softer then it is cutting on? If it is, maybe im missing it sitting in the truck... Im counting the loud clicks as on and off....

Back