A/C Replace compressor and/or clutch? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A/C Replace compressor and/or clutch?

marragtop

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
balt, md
Year, Model & Trim Level
91, 92, 95, and 2000 xlts
I have a 95 Explorer 4.0, 175k miles. I don't think the A/C has ever been apart except for a recharge every year or so. The A/C clutch started screeching last fall. I took the belt off and put a non-AC belt on to bypass the AC. Now I need the A/C working. The pulley on the compressor is very hard to turn by hand (with no belt on). Also, there is a reddish dust all around the clutch. Can I get away with just replacing the clutch, or should I replace the compressor as well? Also, if I do the compressor, what else should I replace (dryer bottle, orifice, ..etc)?

Thanks for any and all replies.

Mike

I would put money on your compressor seizing. That redish dust is probably the clutch burning up. Just my 2 cents.

The reddish dust ia a strong indication of the bearing in the clutch assembly going bad. If the AC system has 175K you might want to replace compressor & clutch as a unit. If you replace just the clutch the cost will be considerably less due to the fact that you do not OPEN the system. If the system is OPENED it should be done by someone equiped with the tools and knowledge for this type of repairs.

Charles

I'd replace the compressor and clutch with a new unit.... replace the accumulator (dryer bottle as you refer to it) and orifice tube and flush the system. Add oil to spec, evacuate the system - refill to spec...and you should be good.

Back