A couple basic questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A couple basic questions

So this is my first attempt at any sort of wiring stuff. Frankly wiring scares me. To many things to go wrong and too many ways to start a fire. But I have a strong desire for more light so here goes.

I bought a couple sets of lights, a bunch of 12 ga. wire, some switches, and some 5 pin relays.
Here's where I'm at. I read through the "Installing Auxiliary Lights" sticky and feel like there's a couple things I'm missing.
First, All the posts refer to 4 pin relays. Mine are five. What do I do differently with one of those? Or do I just leave the middle 87A pin unhooked?
There's reference made to tapping or splicing into an existing wire, headlights or something similar. What is the process for this? Do you just cut the wire and solder the new one in? Are the splice connectors adequate to just clip everything together?
Are the two lights each wired to their own relay, or how are those connected? The set I bought was cheap but doesn't include the harness kit, just the lights.

I know these are probably basic questions, and I apologize if they've already been answered somewhere before. Like I said, I just want to do it right.
Thanks

You only need a relay for the lights you're adding in, not the existing lights, if you're running two lights to one switch (ie: want them to come on and go off together) you'd normally only use one relay for them. Yes you can tap into an existing light, or you can wire to a switch and the battery/relay. As for the 5 pin relays I'm not sure, I've only ever used 4 pin relays. You can cut and solder, that is the strongest way as long as you 'seal' off the solder good, something like liquid electrical tape, or you can use the wire splicers that closes around the two wires, really depends on the location and your comfort. Hope this helps some!

Back