A quick update and a question or two | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A quick update and a question or two

tytanutt94

Reaction score
City, State
Deltona, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 4.6L XLT
Hi y'all... Just wanted to drop a line to give a quick update on my stock XLT. I went to www.4filters.com and ordered the FIPK kit for my 4.6L 2002 XLT. And they deliver by UPS (the big brown truck, not USPS). Got the kit in three days. It had all I needed, parts,directions and bonus stickers (if y'all like to advertise). Took me about an hour from start to finish (including a "beverage" break). The no kidding hardest part was getting the "rubber" seal around the heat shield. Note to all that are doing this, you WILL have to trim it to fit. Don't be like me and use your wifes craft/paper scissors to cut it, it has metal in it. Needless to say they wont cut warm butter now (Sorry Hunni) :D Anyway, the sound difference is awesome, the performance yeah not so much but it does pull a bit more in mid-range acceleration. Now my next project is what I have the question about, from a performance stand-point should I "invest" in a 70-75mm throttle body or a Flowmaster/Gibson performance exhaust? I can swing buying one but not both for now, the Navy don't give raises when I want them (HEHEHEHE). Thanks in advance for y'alls advice. After that, headers/ tuner and finally on to tires but that is a total different issue/forum question. I'll be soon to drop some pics. Later all...

What's the difference between an FIPK and a regular performance/cold air intake?

I would say go with the exhaust. I would recommend a 40 series Flowmaster. Just me but thats what I have and I could tell a big difference even without a air intake just the K&N drop-in filter.

A reply to dmasini and appx91...

As far as the difference in FIPK and performance/cold air... It all depends on what web site you go on to find a "difference". From what I've seen so far a true cold air intake is totally sealed off from the engine compartment to just "suck" outside air and not from under the hood. I've read on several sites that for mild to medium modifications having a cold air intake really does not matter, but for drag strip, street racing or circuit racing that there is a advantage to having that type of set-up. The K&N FIPK that I got does have a heat shield and gasket to ward off hotter air but since the intake is sitting just behind my right headlight I'm sure it REALLY doesn't matter. Thanks for the quick relpy appx91, yeah I was leaning towards the exhaust side too, the 40 series flowmaster is the louder one out of the 40 or 50 series right? I live on a Navy base, I don't think the neighbors would apprieciate me firing up my X at 5am with the 40 series, I'll probably go with the 50 but, thanks a ton for the Info...

Back