A SHO faster than a Z06, Shelby GT500 AND a GTR!?! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A SHO faster than a Z06, Shelby GT500 AND a GTR!?!

Livernois

Reaction score
City, State
Dearborn Heights, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
Crazy right? Well as all of you know, we are no stranger to making monsters out of the little EcoBoost. If you have not been under an internet rock for the last 24 hours then you already know that with our 2015 EcoBoost Mustang we have posted the fastest and quickest 1/4 mile pass of ANY EcoBoost vehicle EVER!

Why stop with just one record? Many of you know the storied attempts to get the most powerful EcoBoost build ever out onto the track. WELL, it has been a long journey, and she fought us at every step! Man has conquered machine, and there is a new WR holding SHO!

How many of you have ever seen a 4400Lb car crush the 1/4 mile faster than a 2015 Dodge Viper GTC, 2014 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG and even the insane 2014 Lexus LFA?

WE HAVE!

Record_Setting_Time_Slip_zps1suhf497.jpg

https://youtu.be/11w0yUlR87E

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great accomplishment!
In no way am I raining down on your parade, but putting a heavily modified vehicle up against a stock vehicle is not much of a fair run.

Very Nice accomplishment!!!!!!!!!

As far as fair, probably not.

But think about it, still much cheaper!!!!!!!!! Less insurance too....

Can we see a vid of the run?

Thanks, somehow I did not see the link in your first post.

Mixed feelings about this, but obviously I'm biased. It is impressive, but I'd personally rather spend the same amount of cash for an Audi S4 that will do basically the same thing with a lot less work involved (actually a hair faster). Either way, it goes a long way to show what this motor is capable of.

I am going to have to respectfully disagree with that statement. Even the RS7 a step below Audi's hypercar is slower in the 1/4 mile than this SHO. It also carries a price tag of about twice the cost of this car AND its mods....

PERFORMANCE (C/D EST):

Zero to 60 mph: 3.4 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 7.8 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 11.6 sec
Top speed: 174 mph (governed)

Here is the full breakdown from C&D.

Mixed feelings about this, but obviously I'm biased. It is impressive, but I'd personally rather spend the same amount of cash for an Audi S4 that will do basically the same thing with a lot less work involved (actually a hair faster). Either way, it goes a long way to show what this motor is capable of.

New Audi S4 starts at $50k in my area.
New Taurus SHO starts at $40K.

How is that the same amount of cash?

I am going to have to respectfully disagree with that statement. Even the RS7 a step below Audi's hypercar is slower in the 1/4 mile than this SHO. It also carries a price tag of about twice the cost of this car AND its mods....

PERFORMANCE (C/D EST):

Zero to 60 mph: 3.4 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 7.8 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 11.6 sec
Top speed: 174 mph (governed)

Here is the full breakdown from C&D.

You keep comparing it to stock vehicles and magazine numbers. I know of at least a few RS7's that have done 11.4 or better completely stock. There are a bunch of tuned/modified S4's in the 11.4-11.5 range, and it can be done with $6k in mods. I don't know how much exactly you have in the SHO, but I'm guessing it's at least 3x that.

Add just a tune to any of the cars you've mentioned (Z06, GTR, GT500, RS7), and they are all easily sub-11 cars.

New Audi S4 starts at $50k in my area.
New Taurus SHO starts at $40K.

How is that the same amount of cash?

A comparable S4 is about $10k more than an SHO. As I mentioned above, for less than $6k, it can do a sub-11.5 in the 1/4-mile. Also as mentioned, I don't know how much they have in the SHO (that they admitted took a lot of effort), but I'd guess it's at least $16k. If you took a SHO and S4 off the showroom floor, it'd cost about the same all-in to run an 11.5.

I'm not knocking the SHO. For $40k, it's a fine car if that is what you are after. And for a select few people, putting how much ever into it to run an 11.5 is understandable. More than anything, I'm just pointing out that for a majority of people it probably makes more sense to step to up to a better platform to start with if you are really after a sports sedan than can do an 11.5.

-----------

For a S4, the following has been proven to get you into the 11.5 range:
-Smaller S/C pulley ($500)
-Overdrive crank pulley ($500)
-Engine tune ($1000)
-Intake ($300)
-Coolant system ($1500)
-LW brake rotors ($1000)
-LW wheels ($1000)

Both of these were on street tires:
11.46: http://audirevolution.net/forum/index.php?topic=3792.0
11.45: http://audirevolution.net/forum/index.php?topic=3803.0

An E85 upgrade is another $400 if you go that route. I have a local guy running an 11.49 with just the pulleys, tune, intake, E85, and LW wheels. A S4 with an upgraded S/C has done a 10.9 (on drag slicks).

----------

Here is a list of the performance mods the SHO had. Someone can correct me if I'm way off on my estimation of how much it costs to get the SHO to that 11.5. Maybe I'm a little high on my estimate, but I think the overall point still stands.

-ATP upgraded turbos"One-Off" Complete Air Intake Setup Custom hard pipes (hot/pressurized) side of the turbos
-S&B Performance air filter
-Alky Controls 100% Methanol Injection Kit
-"One-Off" Completely Catless, HandBuilt Exhaust
-Bassani High Flow Mufflers
-Livernois Motorsports Dyno tune
-2013 Retrofit of Police Package Auxiliary Oil Cooler
-2013 Retrofit of Police Package Transmission Cooler
-160 Degree Lower Temp Thermo
-FMC SP534 Plugs
-3bar MapV Sensor (to allow psi beyond 14.2lbs)
-TSW Nurburgring powdercoated Black Wheels (Staggered set @ 20x8.5's Front, 20x10's Rear)
-Power Slot Performance Slotted Rotors

Keep in mind that most of the "one-off" parts are now readily available parts. Thus the cost of that car's build

There are also several parts that we probably do differently now for peak performance:

S&B Performance air filter- Windstorm CAI
Power Slot Performance Slotted Rotors- Wilwood kit
Retrofit of Police Package Transmission Cooler- PP car
Retrofit of Police Package Auxiliary Oil Cooler- PP car
TSW Nurburgring Wheels- Race wheels
Bassani High Flow Mufflers and HandBuilt Exhaust- Thunderstorm CB and Thunderstorm DP combo

So both cars post modding are going to be right around the same price. The question now is do you want to drive a SHO or S4 one is a sleeper the other...kind of has a motorsport pedigree.

SHO ALL THE WAY!!!!!!

Not that I'm biased though. I own a 14 Sport, 14 Stang GT and a 15 F150 FX4 3.5LTT CC.

The question is,,,,,

Which one do you want to buy replacement parts for?

SHO!!! NUFF!!! SAID!!!

I'm with you Livernois.

Keep in mind that most of the "one-off" parts are now readily available parts. Thus the cost of that car's build

There are also several parts that we probably do differently now for peak performance:

Bassani High Flow Mufflers and HandBuilt Exhaust- Thunderstorm CB and Thunderstorm DP combo

So both cars post modding are going to be right around the same price. The question now is do you want to drive a SHO or S4 one is a sleeper the other...kind of has a motorsport pedigree.

That's $16k in mods? Yikes. I would have thought that would be less than $10k for sure.

As for comparing the modified SHO to stock cars, I think the point is the fact that a relatively unsuspecting sport family sedan can beat performance cars. It would definitely surprise any one of the cars listed in the title on the street.

Not identical, but it's fun when a $5k(after mods) rust bucket can leave a $80k car fading(fast I might add) in the rear view mirror. Ask me how I know....I know the guy in the 911 Turbo won't admit it.:)

No doubt, in hindsight you could probably cut down on the costs a little, and also add a little speed. LW wheels and brake components will help a lot on the 60' time, and that translates to quite a bit in terms of ET. Your current products would probably make things a lot easier too.

Basically, on a performance package SHO, it looks like you could do your level 4 kit ($3200), LW wheels/tires ($2000ish), LW brakes ($2000ish), and the turbo and meth kits (??)- that should get you pretty close to the 11.5 if I had to guess.

Either way it's quite an accomplishment, and you deserve a lot of credit for the accomplishment. My point wasn't to diminish what you did here. Only that once you start adding it up, there are a lot of options. I think you know how I feel, but there isn't a right or wrong....

That's $16k in mods? Yikes. I would have thought that would be less than $10k for sure.

As for comparing the modified SHO to stock cars, I think the point is the fact that a relatively unsuspecting sport family sedan can beat performance cars. It would definitely surprise any one of the cars listed in the title on the street.

Not identical, but it's fun when a $5k(after mods) rust bucket can leave a $80k car fading(fast I might add) in the rear view mirror. Ask me how I know....I know the guy in the 911 Turbo won't admit it.:)

The real costs in upgrading the SHO/Sport to those levels is in the turbo upgrades, and everything associated with that. At the end of the day, as Livernois pointed out above, there are probably some things you could do differently to get the cost down a little, and even bump up the overall speed up a little. Although I have to imagine the fuel system and internals are pretty well tapped out around where they are now though.

No doubt there are all kinds of different ways to go fast. For a little money or a lot.... I have a beater that can beat up on unsuspecting 911's too. It just rattles like a bucket of nails, and smokes like a chimney. Pretty sure the newer SHO or S4 would be a better overall experience. In this case, I'm strictly comparing what I think are similar sedans of similar vintage (the current generation S4 has also been made 2010 to present). There are not many current luxury/sports sedans that are even capable of an 11.5 with that type of investment. I can count 5 maybe? CTS-V, S4, 335i, C63, and the SHO. Edit: Maybe a heavily modded Chevy SS of Charger SRT?

SHO ALL THE WAY!!!!!!

Not that I'm biased though. I own a 14 Sport, 14 Stang GT and a 15 F150 FX4 3.5LTT CC.

The question is,,,,,

Which one do you want to buy replacement parts for?

SHO!!! NUFF!!! SAID!!!

I'm with you Livernois.

LOL, ALL replacement parts are expensive!

That short list is NOT even 75% everything that the car has on it. It has our completed Race Series engine, turbos, methanol and about a grocery list of other mods that are not there.

You hit the nail on the head...the fact is that you can make ANYTHING fast. There are Minis out there with giant CI LS motors with NOS, turbo(s) and/or a SC. The syntax behind the tagline is because we all know about the super/hypercar....

Equal example, is it any less exciting or amusing to watch a heavily modded Civic walk all over a stock Ferrari or Lambo? NO. It is a "normal" car stomping on the bleeding heart and ego of a hypercar driver.

No doubt, in hindsight you could probably cut down on the costs a little, and also add a little speed. LW wheels and brake components will help a lot on the 60' time, and that translates to quite a bit in terms of ET. Your current products would probably make things a lot easier too.

Basically, on a performance package SHO, it looks like you could do your level 4 kit ($3200), LW wheels/tires ($2000ish), LW brakes ($2000ish), and the turbo and meth kits (??)- that should get you pretty close to the 11.5 if I had to guess.

Either way it's quite an accomplishment, and you deserve a lot of credit for the accomplishment. My point wasn't to diminish what you did here. Only that once you start adding it up, there are a lot of options. I think you know how I feel, but there isn't a right or wrong....

The real costs in upgrading the SHO/Sport to those levels is in the turbo upgrades, and everything associated with that. At the end of the day, as Livernois pointed out above, there are probably some things you could do differently to get the cost down a little, and even bump up the overall speed up a little. Although I have to imagine the fuel system and internals are pretty well tapped out around where they are now though.

No doubt there are all kinds of different ways to go fast. For a little money or a lot.... I have a beater that can beat up on unsuspecting 911's too. It just rattles like a bucket of nails, and smokes like a chimney. Pretty sure the newer SHO or S4 would be a better overall experience. In this case, I'm strictly comparing what I think are similar sedans of similar vintage (the current generation S4 has also been made 2010 to present). There are not many current luxury/sports sedans that are even capable of an 11.5 with that type of investment. I can count 5 maybe? CTS-V, S4, 335i, C63, and the SHO. Edit: Maybe a heavily modded Chevy SS of Charger SRT?

Honestly, you could save quite a bit and get equivalent performance. The S4 is actually on an all new lighter and more powerful platform. That has been all of the rage for the past year or so.

As for competition, at that level it is REALLY tough. I like your train of thought, but honestly AWD (even a system with a FWD bias) will be quicker from a dig. So if we are only looking at it from a 1/4 mile standpoint...the SHO is a killer.

You can do our Windstorm SS Sedan SC kit, heads, cam and header make your 150-200whp (~$12-14k above the cost of the car) and still lose. The SRT's are far more CHALLENGEd (yes pun intended). They are large, heavy and do not like going anywhere quickly. It is hard at that level of vehicle...you are just south of actual sportscar price range, but just north of "average" car territory.

A PP SHO in most cases STICKERS (important point, because incentives are insane ATM) for ~$42k:

SS Sedan: $49k
SRTs: $52k
ATS-V: $62
CTS-V....go buy a GT350R, Z06 or GTR!

Does ANY large displacement platform have a higher ceiling, NO QUESTION. But like we all agree, with enough of an imbalance of dollars and sense you can make anything fast. To think that you can take a $42k car (~35k post incentives) and add 10-15 to it you are still in most cases ahead of the comps base price. And, be honest, NONE of us buy base cars lol.

Fun cars for sure.

I wish I liked the Taurus as much as the Fusion, I'd start with that but it doesn't have a strong base drive train available. I love the MKZ except for the front and sides, the Fusion is better overall. Make the TT 3.5 fit.

Fun cars for sure.

I wish I liked the Taurus as much as the Fusion, I'd start with that but it doesn't have a strong base drive train available. I love the MKZ except for the front and sides, the Fusion is better overall. Make the TT 3.5 fit.

Are we changing the back, top and badges too LOL

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is this SHO a daily driver? What is the reliability of it? How many miles before a rebuild is needed?

I ask because you compare it to stock cars that will still run 11's after 100k miles.

I have had a few race motors in both bikes and cars, some needed rebuilds after 1,500 miles (yes, you read that right), others went 25,000 before needing a teardown.

Back