• Register Today It's free!

A Weird Clunking Noise!

rwest!

Reaction score
City, State
Central, New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Eddie Bauer
When I stop sometimes, I hear and feel a loud clucking noise - and it only 'clunks' one time and only when I stop and at no other time. (no break squeaking/grinding).

It doesn't happen all the time - maybe one or twice when I'm driving. I'm thinking something in suspension -has this ever happened to anyone else? What should I have checked out?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like your slip yoke

Slip yoke?

what is it? where is it located? Costly to replace?.....I just want to make sure to get enough info before I see a mechanic and of course they try and say it's something else or it'll cost me $500 to replace a part that I don't need to replace-:)

Thanks for replying!

I know that when i had my '93 i had the same noise every once in a while.

It was the radius arm bushing. The heat from the engine melts this cheap rubber. After twice replacing it they put a synthetic one on there.

See if that's the problem.

The slip yoke is where your driveshaft splits in two,very easy fix.Just take it apart and regrease,its probally dry.Could be your radius arms bushings too,but they are a different story

have to join in.

Is it harmful to let the slip yoke go ungreased?

its not that hard to do.It takes about an hour to do:D I dont think it will hurt anything letting it go,its just annoying:(

like the clunking in the steering column. I fixed that with duct tape.:D

That sounds interesting:)

It's Annoying, but.....

It is annoying but it sounds like something I need to have checked out soon, right?

I mean, if I let it go - could it get worse and break on me totally......now what if it's the radius arm bushing - isn't that serious to ignore too?

If your radius arm bushings have never been done,then they are probally bad.I would probally have it checked out.My muffler shop said they would do my radius arm bushings for 140.

Thanks!

I'm taking the truck first thing Sat am to the shop - I'll post how I made out - just hope I don't have to put a lot of $$$$.

Thanks for all of the replies!

Renee

I get it too...let me know what it is and how much it is to fix or if it is an easy do it yourself job.

Update....

I took the truck in the shop, didn't make the one 'clunk' sound on the way so I knew it was coming. One of the mechanics drove it, confirmed he heard the clunk (it only happens one time) they put my truck up on the lift, check the slip yoke, it was fine. They also checked my suspensions, they said that was fine too.

Although one other person heard it, they could not pinpoint where the sound could be coming from. The top mechanic said to wait and see if it occurs constantly so at this point, I still don't know what it is.

Did they take the driveshaft off to check the slipyoke?

Nope!

I have to say no to that - they had the truck up on the lift, they had the 'lamp' that they use to get a closer look, but they didn't disassemble anything.

I think these guys (there were two checking it out) were looking for something that they see right away and when nothing looked out of place, they just assumed that it wasn't anything serious.

And of course since the noise only happens once when I drive and it may occur again later after the truck sits for hours and I drive it again, it's hard to pin-point it because I'm the only one hearing it while it occurs.

There is no way to check the slip yoke without taking the driveshaft apart:(

OK!

I figured that and since these guys yesterday didn't seem willing to go further than they had to go (they were just 'looking' - I'll try another mechanic and have him do a 'real' check!

It's just so weird because the 'clunks' one time and one time only. Thanks for all of your responses!

When the mechanic takes it apart just have him put some molley grease on the two ends and put it back together:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok!

Ok, I'll do that - thanks!;)

Back