A4LD, 4R, and 5R series low/reverse servo seals. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A4LD, 4R, and 5R series low/reverse servo seals.

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
I was looking into all of the new kinds of seals that they now make for the low/reverse servo piston. So far as an alternative to O-rings, they now make single, and double lip seals, and viton seals. I think the Superior valve body shift kit uses the single lip seals (please correct me if I'm wrong). There are 2 other kinds that are available without an entire kit from WWW.TransmissionPartsUSA.Com. There is the double lip seal, and the viton seal. When I asked the salesperson, he said that he couldn't recommend any specific ones, because he personally never used them. He said that the shops use the standard rubber O-rings that come in the kits. I wonder which style is the best out of these 4. I was also looking for the thicker (.015") A4LD valve body gaskets. I used to be able to get them a few years ago from a local supplier until he closed down. I haven't been able to locate anybody else that sells them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Aceomatic (Axiom) sells the thicker A4LD gasket between the sep plate and case.... that is the only one I am aware was ever avalilable. The Low/reverse servo never really used a true lip seal... the "double lip seal" is a misnomer really. I dont care what shops use. In the case of the A4LD few shops know shjt about how to rebuild one to last. Use the double lip if you can get one.

I think viton is a superior seal longevity wise.... whether it improves the seal new over other alternatives I do not know.

I know that the governor seals are all viton. They have a mitered split in them, since they don't stretch. After they go on, the ends overlap to make a continuous seal. I wonder if these are the same.

I've recently found out that the 2WD filter is different in the 88 than in the 89. I have an 88, 89, 93, 95, and 96 Aerostar. I was surprised to find out that the 88 uses one type of filter, while the 89, and 93 use a different type. The bottom of the 89 design has a round circle opening for the screen compared to the 88 which has a smaller opening. If the valve bodies are flat, and have the openings in the same places, why would the filter be different?

Back