A4LD no forward in OD but fine in D | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A4LD no forward in OD but fine in D

dillon1340

Reaction score
City, State
greenville, south carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 explorer 4x4
My transmission is allowing me to drive fine if it's in drive but will not if it is in Overdrive. any ideas on what this may be? it only has around 10k miles on it since last rebuild.

edit: if i try to drive away from stop with selector in overdrive it just revs, no movement. if i am driving along in drive and move selector to overdrive it will rev like it is in neutral; then in order to get power to the road again i will need to move selector to neutral then back to drive.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Solenoid gone bad or and lets hope not a over drive drum that let go. Mine did it at 7,000 miles and 1,000 miles out of warrantee.
not no tranny person but do a search and I bet you will find a lot of info on the valve body and your problem .

could a bad lockup solenoid cause these symptoms?

Is it out of warranty for the rebuild? Take it back to the people who rebuilt it. I betcha you are gonna not have forward or backwards at all soon.

This is the same problem my dad was experiencing in his explorer, I just put a new transmission in it today.... You don't want to know what the inside of the other looked like. You probably got some rebuild where they just replaced some soft parts and called it good. Drop your pan and start looking for parts of springs from clutch packs, take a look at your fluid and see if it is burnt. There is a possibility it is just in your valve body though.

Question, when you are driving at highway speeds, can you shift the selector into overdrive and then will the transmission shift into overdrive and continue to drive normally?

i haven't tried it at highway speeds yet and i checked my receipt, it is out of warranty.

what a disapointment; i rebuilt the engine around 5k miles ago so i feel like i have to spend the money on this crappy thing now.

Just to be sure though... Check your transmission fluid for signs it is burnt, that is always a good place to start.

could a bad lockup solenoid cause these symptoms?
No. The lockup solenoid only effects the lockup clutch, which only engages in 3rd or 4th gear above ~40 mph. It has nothing to do with taking off from stopped.

when i'm on the interstate and move it to overdrive it drives fine, shifts into fourth like it is supposed to. come to off ramp and left it in overdrive came to stop at end and it drove away fine from a stop while the selector was in overdrive. it is intermittent. perhaps it is not a mechanical failure within the transmission but maybe a valve body issue.

You should drain your tranny fluid and change your filter. Fresh fluid and filter might get rid of your problem or at least prolong the life of your transmission. Plus then, you will have a chance to check if there are any signs of imminent transmission failure.

by the way, not to be a buzzkill and all, but that is what my dad's was doing, shifting into OD fine at highway speeds and then working fine after that for a little while. That is exactly why I asked you that. You need to get that filter and fluid changed, might get you by for a while. Don't take your truck back to the shop that did your transmission work before. Find a good place that doesn't half ass things.

it probably is wishful thinking. it's been 10k miles since rebuild. i don't think it's too much to ask for a few more miles than that before it needs repair again.

i have my doubts about the shop that did it. i had replaced the torque converter once and the one i bought was a crazy turqoise color. then my trans went bad and i took it to them for repair, they charged me for rebuild and a new converter. when i took out the engine to rebuild i couldnt help but notice the converter was identical to the one i had put in there with that crazy turqoise color. i really have no way of knowing but it seems a bit fishy to me.

dillon1340 My tranny has been rebuilt three times two with only soft parts (found this out later) and once with soft and hard parts. It now runs better then the day I bought the truck some 13 years plus ago.
The last shop showed me the worn OEM parts that were never changed but my recites said were. Needless to say believe it or not it is leangle to call it a rebuilt even if all they have done is the soft parts. In my case they blew it when they listed what they replaced and it was found out later did not. One of the few times I also did not demand my old parts back also but you know that will not happen again any time soon. So now I have an almost $7,000.00 tyranny from all the rebuilds but luckily most of the cost I did recipe but how many people have been taken to the cleaners by shops like that. Makes ya made just thinking about it!

Back