• Register Today It's free!

a4ld rebuild help

patmorrison

Reaction score
City, State
Anaheim, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
ok, so im trying to measure endplay on the front end of the transmission, and Im having big problems getting the pump to fit into the bushing on the overdrive drum. The pump seems to get wedged into the bushing and not want to go in any further. Im begining to think that I may have put in the wrong replacement bushing in the overdrive drum. Can someone tell me if the pump normaly slides on into the center of the OD drum?

This may or may not have anything to do with it, but i found that the rebuild kit has a bushing that I cant find anywhere on my transmission. Maybe its the wrong kit with the wrong size bushing? Does the a4ld use different fundamental parts for different engine size applications? :confused:

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bump

Yes the pump should slip into the OD Drum which has a bushing and in effect "pilots" on the pump stub. I am not aware of significantly different parts, but I do know for example that the 2.9L version used a bearing on the output shaft, whereas the 4.0 used a bushing.

[Pat - take the pump with you and visit ATC, have them pull you a new drum and test fit it. A new OD drum isn't a bad investment, plus you can mike it etc...]

Yea, I think Ill do that. I may have warped the drum when I mistakenly pressed the forward drum bushing into the od drum.... :D , I suppose its a good thing that Ill go and get a new drum now, as a warped drum cant be good spinning around at an appreciable speed.

Thanks for the insight.

Pat

In the For What It is Worth category. I used a NEW OD drum. Why ? I warped the old one trying to get the damn bushing out.

yea, I guess it happens. I picked up the new drum today. Back in business. it fits like a glove, and they have a bushing already in it. My only consolation is that this transmission will be pretty solid when I am done, even though its now approaching $1000.

Thanks for the advice.

Pat, you can't BUY this rebuild - anywhere. Good going. How were the clutch pack clearances, did you need to get different snap rings or did the ones that came in it give you good clearance numbers? Oh when you get to the valve body rebuild, I have a couple new suggestions.

True True. I forget that thats why I started this project: to get a killer transmission at a reasonable price.

The new clutch pack clearances were within proper tolerances. Somewhere in the middle of the range. I've already installed 1 shift kit into the valve body, the limmiter on the manual valve, and that other thing with the purple thing inside of it :smoke: . Looking forward to hearing about whats next.

It's another sonnax fix. Here is a link. If ya wanna go in on some I'll take and pay for what you don;t need.... ATC should be able to get them...

http://www.transmissionspecialty.com/parts/PDF/10000-01K-02K(rb).pdf

Back