A4LD starts out in 2nd

MrShorty

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Spanish Fork, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT and '87 Bronco II
Don't remember seeing this problem mentioned, and couldn't find anything with the search engine. Last week or so, My '92 has felt a little "weak" on take-off. Today, when accelerating across a main road, it finally occurred to me what it felt like: like it was starting out in 2nd. A few quick tests on the way home, and that sure seems to be what is happening. When I have it in 4th gear/OD, the transmission starts out in 2nd, shifts fine into 3rd and 4th. If I drop the selector into 3rd/D, it starts out normally in 1st, shifts at the right time to 2nd and then 3rd. It will shift into 1st if I drop the selector to 1st.

Transmission isn't slipping or anything - it just doesn't seem to want to start out in 1st. I'm going to swing by the library and see if the transmission manual has any insights, but I thought I'd also ask you guys if any of you know what I'm looking for.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Adjust the kickdown cable, and the bands. Check the vacuum line for leaking transmission fluid from the modulator. Do you have a delayed 1-2 shift when it's cold? If so, then it could have a sticking governor.

I'll check the kickdown cable and the bands.

I didn't see any sign of ATF in the vacuum line, so I don't think the modulator is leaking.

1-2 shift, when it occurs, seems to occur just like it should: neither early nor late.

Of course, after posting last night, this morning it is driving normally. Last night, it would drive normally in D. The problem only showed up in OD. Any idea what is different between OD and D that would make it do this?

Quick update (and I might be feeling mighty sheepish when all is said and done).

The last few days it has stopped acting up. On a whim, I decided to check the fluid level: it was pretty low. After topping it off, it seems to work better. Still need to drive it a little to see if the problem resurfaces, but I'll feel pretty silly if it turns out that it was just low on fluid.

Back