• Register Today It's free!

A4LD swap with 4R44E

Chrisman889

Reaction score
City, State
Gypsum, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer xlt
Can I put a 4R44E transmission in a 93 Explorer to replace the A4LD that's in there? Thanks

I believe you meant to say the 4R55E, not the 4R44E. The 4R55E was used in all 95-96 4.0 V6 Explorers, while the 4R44E was used in the 2.3L & 3.0L Rangers.

In short, to answer your question, no, you cannot just swap a 4R55E right in. the A4LD is a mechanical transmission. the 4R55E (also called A4LD-E) is an electronic transmission. the 4R55E is an A4LD with electronic shifting added. The work involved in this swap would be very intense and very costly, even for a very experienced mechanic. It is feasible, and it's been done (there is a thread write up some where on here of someone swapping a 5R55E into a 1st gen), but I doubt that since you didn't know they aren't easily swappable that you would be willing to take on changing out wiring harnesses, adding a PCM, changing bell housings, and a ****load of other stuff. It'd be better just to get a rebuilt A4LD than to go thru this BS.

That's what I kind of figured. Thanks

No problem! If you need an A4LD, last time I checked a few months ago there is some guy on Ebay that fully rebuilds them and sells them for like $900 so you might want to check that out.

Back