A4LD Tranny not shifting! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A4LD Tranny not shifting!

Reaction score
City, State
Battle Ground, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
Well I put my engine back in after changing all the seals and gaskets and now my tranny doesn't shift. I did take the pan off and change the filter along with new fluid in the tranny and TC. So I took a look at the vacume lines and found that the one on the side of the tranny was disconnected. Plugged that back in and still no shift, al it does is go into park. So looked around the site and found a few ideas so I decided to take the pan off along with the VB and found a mess! Sludge built up everywhere! I just bought this 91 Ex with 170,000 miles and I think the fluid was never changed! So now that I have the VB off I checked the Z link and thats not bent so no worries there but the VB what should I do? Clean it? If I do how should I go about doing that? Is there rebuild kits for the VB? I know a new gasket set is going to be needed, is the gaskets included in a rebuild? Should I look at anything else or just the VB? Help I'm down a car and all I have is a chop top B2 which you can't really put a kid in that!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks BrooklynBay. I looked into it and ordered the Transgo Kit along with a few sonnax parts. Hope this works I'll keep everyone informed on what happens.

ok just to let everyone know, I just finished putting in the transco kit along with the sonnaco booster valve and a new flywheel along with 7 qts of royal purple. She lives again! This tranny has never shifted better! I just want to thank everyone for all their help this site has so much useful info!

Back