A4LD will not move in overdrive OK in Drive | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A4LD will not move in overdrive OK in Drive

ddshore

Reaction score
City, State
Oklahoma City OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Ford Ranger
I have a 92 ranger 3.0L with the a4ld transmission, The truck will not move if the shift lever is placed in Overdrive. If I place the shift lever in Drive it drives and shifts ok. Replaced the transmission with a used (original transmission the fluid did smell a bit burnt and was very dark) one do not know any history of the used unit (if did come out of a 89 ranger pickup, had to change the bell housing to mount on the 3.0L) and have the same problem. I have adjusted the bands (10ft lb and backout 2 turns) Checked the codes with 111 for the KOEO and CM. If I remove the 3-4 shift and TCC plug from the transmission I then get codes 566 and 629. I have run the output state test and I have 12 vdc when checked at the tranmsission plug between the RED and ORG/YEL (3-4 shift) and the RED and PPL/YEL (Converter Clutch). When not in the output state test mode the voltage reads 0 for both. I have made a jumper cable to control the solenoids manually. If I energize the 3-4 shift solenoid while the shift lever is in overdrive the truck will move and appears to shift ok. I can energize the TCC above 40 and that also appears to work.

My question is when should the 3-4 shift solenoid be engergized? Does it deenergize to shift to 4 or energize to shift.

New to your forum and any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On test drive if the speed is above approx 45 and the shift lever is placed to Overdrive it will shift into overdrive and the torque converter will lockup. It will work correctly until you add gas which would cause a downshift, if it tries to downshift the engine RPM will rise and the truck will not excelerate until you place the shift lever to Drive then it will excelerate correctly and again one at steady speed I can place the shift lever to Overdrive and the transmission will shift back into overdrive.

Welcome to this forum! Check the adjustment of the shift cable, and the kickdown cable. Make sure that the fluid level is correct. Some people mistakenly used a 2WD short filter in a 4WD with a deep pan. The result is a no drive condition while driving on an incline. Check the vacuum line going into the vacuum modulator for signs of leaking fluid.

The throttle cable cable is adjusted correctly. Checked the modulator vacuum line and there is no fluid in the line. I readjusted the kickdown cable from instructions in the service manual and I still have the same problem.

Don't know any history on the transmission it was from a salvage yard. It acts just like the one I replaced.

Same problem???

Ive had the truck for a month and it hasnt been over 20 degrees outside... today it was 54 degrees and it started working properly ?!

also i have noticed that my temperature guage never reads normal, even though i can feel the heater is normal...

if the radiator is coler than its supposed to be can this hold the transmission in the same state causing this issue? it never reaches true op temp?

just a spitball... but i am changing filter/fluid tomorrow and adjusting the bands, we will see how that does...

just wierd that ambient temperature made a difference... ?! :scratch:

Back