AAMCO, Cottman, or Ford Dealership | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AAMCO, Cottman, or Ford Dealership

MuddLover

Reaction score
City, State
Grundy, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
Well my transmission has pretty much lived it's life to the end and its time for a rebuild. I've done some pricing and it seems that Cottman, AAMCO, and the Ford Delership are gonna give me the best price $1500 to $1600 unless there is "hard part" damage and all have the same 12/12 warrantee except the dealership will only cover the repair in their shop sans towing whereas Cottman and AAMCO have nationwide coverage. The Ford Dealership also admitted that they got their rebuild kits from Cottman. AAMCO also has a 4r55e sitting on the shelf ready to install at the same cost as a rebuild ($1585) they'll simply drop mine, install theirs, and when they tear mine down bill me for any "hard parts" that needed replaced.

So, of those of you that have used these shops could you please let me know of your experiences.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have used Cottman on my 92 and was satisfied with thier work. I have over 16,000 miles on the rebuild without any probems so far. Andrew

Sounds too damn cheap. I have had two done, one was a complete reman, one was a rebuild, both over $2300. Cottman I have heard does good work.

$2300?!? The highest I've found was $1800, must be a regional thing. These three shops are all within $100 of each other and one of them is the Ford dealership.

WOW...most people on this board have spent around 2k or so on them.

That makes me feel a little better as I prepare to part with my hard earned money. Heck, I just got over the hump of deciding to trade it or not a couple of days ago.

BTW, it woulda been another 2nd gen.

Mine was $2800 at Cottman. They did great work and I'm very pleased.

Back