About Transmission cooler and radiator | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

About Transmission cooler and radiator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ok, so here is my 2 cents. For one I have to agree with EddyB, these have been in automatics for decades. Very rarely a problem. That being said I had an 08 Ranger 4.0 SOHC and an automatic that I had this happen to.
I will start by saying that as long as the engine is running you should have no coolant entering the trans because of the pressure difference. 30-40 psi in the trans lines will push tranny fluid into the radiator before the 12-15 psi coolant pushes into the trans. That all goes out the window the second you shut it off.
My story: On my way to work (20 min. drive) my Ranger started to shift funny slipping and just acting like it was low on fluid. When I got to work I checked the trans, obviously low, and added some fluid and looked for a leak. During this I just happened to look at my coolant tank to see it was very dark. I opened the tank and low and behold there was my ATF.
It took a second to realize what was going on but when I did I took a heavy rag and popped the radiator cap to the vent side and shut the truck off.
Long story short, I replaced the radiator and all is well, no coolant in the trans.
Probably rare for this to happen this way but it worked for me. I did however have to get some oil out of the engine but removing the thermostat and lots of Dawn and water fixed that right up.
Forgot to mention that lots of SUVs and trucks have a similar engine oil cooler setup, usually coolant lines to an oil filter adapter that has a cooler in it. And I’ve seen some older heavy duty GMs trucks have an oil cooler in the radiator also.

Is it true that Ford combines the transmission cooler into the engine (coolant) radiator? And the two different fluids can potentially mix together when there’s a leak?

If yes, has anyone installed a STANDALONE transmission cooler for the truck? Thanks!
It in the rad for a reason just get a new rad they are cheap now days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back