ABS light came on after hard stop | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ABS light came on after hard stop

trucku

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Queens, New York and living in Budd Lake, NJ now.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLS 4.0 4x4
My ABS light came on after hard stop ( avoid hitting dog) from like 40 miles an hour. I came to a complete stop felt pretty abrupt. Felt like the truck stopped instantly. I didnt feel the pedal pulse. The ABS light came on and stayed on after that until i turned off the truck and back on. Brakes seem fine. I Have not done any hard stops to activate ABS though...

Only thing out of the normal was all of this occured going uphill on a windy road upstate. Don't know if going uphill for some wacky reason would matter..lol Maybe thats why truck stopped so quickly.

Any thoughts on why Light just came on...and is that normal?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ABS systems are more likely to have malfunctions, if never used. They are just like any mechanical part. Lack of use decreases their lifespan and dependability.

An intermittent ABS light isn't necessarily a major problem. Look over the braking system, and do all proper maintenance. Check for any looseness, etc. and be sure that everything is clean. Be sure that the brake fluid is not too old, bleeding old fluid out is an excellent maintenance item.

Occasionally you should apply your brakes safely, hard enough to initiate the ABS system to work. Good luck,

Did a brake flush couple of months ago. It never happened before. But I will definately give it a good test next time it rains. The brakes are working great no problems felt or seen, except for the light this time.

Thanks CDW8212R

I've had my ABS sensor changed 3 times on my 2003 XLS. It may be an issue with that. I believe there is a TSB on this issue. To my knowledge if the light is ON the ABS system is off.

PABear said:
I've had my ABS sensor changed 3 times on my 2003 XLS. It may be an issue with that. I believe there is a TSB on this issue. To my knowledge if the light is ON the ABS system is off.

Thanks PABear :thumbsup:

I will check TSB on it. Wow 3 times..damn. I am gonna give them brakes a good test and see if it comes on again.

:usa:

2002 explorer.
My ABS light was on all the time.. apparently there are three sensors ..1 on each front and 1 on the rear differential pumpkin.. i was going to replace the sensor on the rear but then my front left hub bearing went out.. so if you hear some squeeking and rough grinding on one of your wheels.. that may be the problem.. the new hub is $138.oo and comes with a new sensor. hope this helps.

Back