ABS light on/off | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ABS light on/off

tony64

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer 4x4
Hi,

On my 2006 Explorer 4.0L 4x4, the ABS light comes On intermittently...
I brought it to a garage to have it scanned, and it looks like it's the front left sensor..
Replacing the hub can be quite expensive, and the fact that it is intermittent, makes me wonder if it's not an electrical connection.....I'm looking for some schematic to see where everything is connected....perhaps corrosion on some terminals?

If any of you had this problem, and solution, please let me know

regards

Tony

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The connector for the abs sensor is in the engine capartment it is easy to find. Open the hood and it is right near the fender. If you cant find it just folow the abs wire.

In the intermittent abs light what was the code? And how many miles are on the truck and is it the original brearing?

Hi , and thanks for the answer

the explorer has 77 000miles on it, I don't know if the hub was previously replaced, I bought it used , 2 years ago...unfortunately I dont remember the code...

regards

Its probably the original bearing. from other threads on bearings when the bearing is bad it can cause abs lights or if it is the tone ring which in integrated into the hub. I think you can buy the sensor separate from the bearing and try it but if that is not the problem its a wasted cost because the hub comes with one. On amazon you can get a timkin bearing for ~$160. if you plan on doing it yourself the hub can be a pain to get out of the knuckle but can be done with hand tools and a torch. if you could get the code again that could help a lot.

my 07 looked like the factory hub and it came right out with about 20 whacks with a hammer switching sides and adding pressure to the opposite side with a small pry-bar.... just make sure you torque the axle nut down to 180ft lbs..... replaced mine with my favorite tried and true $40 ebay special.... personally I have not had one of these fail yet... my $120 autozone hub on my 98 failed in 13 months maybe 22k miles

Back