abs light proplems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

abs light proplems

Dpahl

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 xlt 4.0 ohv 4wd
The abs light has been on since I bought my 96 ohv xlt 4wd. I believe it is causing my 4wd to not work right found out the hard way. I jacked the front up it is locking up both front wheels and spinning the drive shaft. I just replaced the rear diff abs speed sensor with the battery disconnected for over an hour and the light is still on. It never goes off from the time I start till the time I cut it off. The only thing I can think to do is clean all the wheel sensors. also the one I got today didn't look like the one I remover.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if it says control trac or 4auto on the switch on the Ex , it won't work if the abs light is on,,
I would bet it is a front sensor,, ,

It's a bit of a job to get the abs sensors out of the front bearings as you may have to take off a few parts to get to them,,
and,,, if there are chunks of metal on the sensors it may be a wheel bearing starting to go,, that causes abs lights in a hurry,,

The abs light has been on since I bought my 96 ohv xlt 4wd. I believe it is causing my 4wd to not work right found out the hard way. I jacked the front up it is locking up both front wheels and spinning the drive shaft. I just replaced the rear diff abs speed sensor with the battery disconnected for over an hour and the light is still on. It never goes off from the time I start till the time I cut it off. The only thing I can think to do is clean all the wheel sensors. also the one I got today didn't look like the one I remover.

The abs sensors do fail, but most of the times thats from rough handing during repairs.

Often, on a 2wd, the front abs sensors get coated in metallic brake pad dust.

On a 4wd, when they're within a hub, they get coated with bearing "dust/grease."

Also, the "frequency sprocket" within the front wheel hubs can get coated with this bearing "dust/grease." You can clean the frequency wheel tooth by tooth through the abs sensor hole with a thin flathead screwdriver and a clean/thin white rag (like an old cotton t-shirt that has been washed so much it's really thin).

The rear abs sensor (mounted on the top of the differential, and it extends into the differential) gets coated with steel bearing remnants moved around in the rear diff gear oil.

So - Disconnect your battery.

Remove and Clean the 2 front L & R abs sensors (they get VERY dirty).

Did you bring your old/rear abs sensor with you when you bought the new one?

Good luck!

As said above make sure a wheel bearing isn't going south. That's what triggered my 96's ABS light. Soon as I replaced the wheel bearing the ABS light was gone.

Before you start throwing parts at it, or just taking things apart to clean, save yourself the time, money and energy and get it scanned. The code will tell you exactly where the problem is.

I still haven't had time to clean the front hubs up but will get to that Sunday. When I had it up in the air to check to make sure the front end was locking up I didn't notice any play from the bearings. I was planning on just taking the whole thing apart and giving it a good cleaning but would that mess up my bearings if they are still good?

would doing the brown wire mod work until I could get this to work the right way?

still looking to find a place to pull the code for under $75.

Also when I gun it the little red brake light comes on for a second, anyone know what this means....track control??

small update I just check the front the sensors with my dollar tree volt meter. The right front was reading 20 or 2.0 and the left I got nothing at all spent about 30 minuets messing with it and cleaning the prongs and still got nothing. That is wear I will start take it all the way off clean it and inspect it better.

small update I just check the front the sensors with my dollar tree volt meter. The right front was reading 20 or 2.0 and the left I got nothing at all spent about 30 minuets messing with it and cleaning the prongs and still got nothing. That is wear I will start take it all the way off clean it and inspect it better.

Right on - sounds like you're on the right path. :thumbsup:

Report back so as to eventually "close the information loop." ;)

I didn't get to the explore this week end but soon any other info anyone can shead on my situations. Should i just do the BWM and not care about the abs?

Spent some time on the ex today. I did a test Bwm just to see if the 4wd works and it does. Will be wiring it up the right way soon. Until I have the funds to get the abs scanned and fix the problem will running the 4wd off the Bwm cause any damage?

thanks for the help everyone I'll look into cleaning it and look at wheel bearings

Back