ABS Light P0500 & No Speed O | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ABS Light P0500 & No Speed O

UPDATE:

Just back from the Auto Parts Store. The guy hooked up a scanner that will pull the ABS codes (unlike mine) and his scanner read "ABS Module Not Responding"

ABS light still on after replacing everything except the module.

Well now. Next? Where is this module? This is starting to suck.

Rick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your mismatched tires are most likely the issue. For a minute, I thought you had the 5.0 AWD, in which case the mismatched tires would be an even larger issue.

I can explain why the code reader was unable to give you more detailed information. The ABS light being on is the key - this indicates codes are present in the ABS module, which cannot be read by a conventional code reader. If you attached a reader with ABS capabilities, you would most likely get an error in the format Cxxxx rather than Pxxxx. In your case, the problem is so bad that the ABS module is sending bad (or no) speed information to the PCM, thus triggering the P0500 code.

After resolving the tire issue, you should swing by Advance Auto Parts, or somewhere else that has readers with ABS capabilities and have the codes cleared (AAP is the only place in my area that has ABS capabilities on their free scanner).

Well, This thing is handing me my a$$. I went by AAP. They were busy so the guy ask me for my DL and handed over a scanner that has ABS.

I got the same old P0500 (listed twice) then something strange. It read:

"No Response From ABS Module" That's strange. So I go remove a known working module from a friends 99 xlt 2wd 5.0. The only thing different is the paint job.

I go back to AAP and again, No Reply from Module. Damnit!

I take his back and reinstall mine. My module as well as his has the same number: XL2T-2C219-AB

I can not find a schematic drawing of this module or even the PCM. I did do a little poking around with my vom and found something that caught my eye.

I pulled fuse #3 (50amp) 4WABS. I check both sides of it before I removed it. It checked good. I did however note one side of the fuse bus had 13.7 volts DC.I probed the other side of the socket and got 0.85 Volt DC.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there should be nothing, nadda at this point. Again, I could be wrong. Just seemed strange to me to be reading ANY voltage there.

I removed the connector to the ABS module and retested it. The .85 I had went away after I removed the multi pin connector from the module.

I reconnected the wiring to the module and walla! the .85 has returned. What kind of freaky feedback loop I have going on here.

This just gets deeper and deeper. I guess the next stop (as badly as I hate to) will be one of the local dealerships. I called both in town and both has a flat rate of 95 bucks just to connect to my ride and tell me what they found.

Any ideas? Know where I may find a print of the modules?

Scratching me head.
Rick

Still fighting ABS light & new issues now

At the U-Pull-It lot today looking for various parts not related to the electronic problems but I did run across a 99 like mine. As you will see in the picture there are many parts missing on the inside. I seen a module I could not ID. It is to the left of the radio inside the dash. I'm going to assume this is the cluster module but that is just a wild guess on my part.

Besides the ABS and no speed o problem a new one has popped up. My engine heat gauge has always remained just a hair above C. This whole time (about a month now) I just assumed the temp sensor was bad. I should have suspected something else when my heater would never get warm let alone hot. after reading all the post about cold blowing heaters the number one and most talked about was the blend door so I chalked that up to a hung/inop blend door.

Well my diagnosis was incorrect. Just for fun I removed the thermostat cover. It was stuck WIDE open. Bought a new one and walla! I have heat!

Back to the temp gauge and the over head outside temp & direction display. Now that I have heat, my engine temp gauge will make it Almost half way up and stay there, for a while.

Then out of no where my over head display will just go out and the heat gauge will swing all over the place very quickly mostly resting all the way to the right and lighting the Check Gauge light. If I speed up the heat gauge will fall back to midway, let off the gas and back to the right all the way past the stop.

The check engine light will not come on when this is happening. The only time it comes on is at highway speeds and the same two codes over and over again P0500.

Someone told me the over head display (Outside Air Temp) & VSS & the cluster module all play together talking to the PCM. The cluster mod and wiring to it is the only thing left I have not had my hands on.

If you can ID the module in the picture and have any other ideas please let me know.

www.captaintonyking.com/images/pic1.jpg

Thank You Much
Rick

ABS Light & Module FIXED!

99 xlt 5.0 auto 2wd

After a lot of ado I have the ABS issue fixed. A friend made me a copy of the pin outs that connect to the abs module. The issue was a pin/slot on the rear side of the inside fuse box not making.

Here are two links to the pin out's for this suv. I hope you will find a use for this information. It is next to impossible to find this for free on the net anywhere.

Thanks All
Rick

www.captaintonyking.com/exp/pinout1.jpg

www.captaintonyking.com/exp/pinout1.jpg

Owners Manual in PDF

www.captaintonyking.com/exp/99expmanual.pdf a 2 meg file.

Thanks for the update and info. it should help others in the future.

I am however trouble shooting ODB II code P0500 (on another thread) I have replaced all three sensors (2 on front wheels & 1 on the differential) to no avail. One web site service tells me the vss is located on the tail shaft of the transmission. BS, Not on this ride.

Rick

I'm having same problem, but from what I'm understanding about for is the vss is on tranmision. Go back to the bundle of wires. Its there.

Bump bump. Reading up in this issue as I have it, hopefully the information here will help me diagnose it

Back