• Register Today It's free!

ABS Sensors

Snowcone

Reaction score
City, State
Newcastle, Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT 4.6
My ABS light came on last week and is still intermitently coming on most days.

I did a search and one of the fixes was to clean the wheel sensors.
Can anyone give me a heads up on this procedure please.

I took the front wheels off and nothing is damaged or out of place etc.
Both front hub assemblies with the ABS sensors where replaced last year as the wheel bearings were shot

Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Perhaps your battery is getting weak or weakening....When I test drove my 2006 at the dealers, the ABS light came on...got back to the dealer, turned off the truck...few minutes later, went out with salesman to show him, and it didn't turn on....I proceeded to buy the truck...fast forward about an hour later...I was leaving the dealership, and when I turned on the truck, the light came back on. When I got home, and parked the truck for a little while, I tried starting it, and the light was off, and remained off ever since then. The only thing I can think is maybe the battery was weak from the truck sitting on the lot. I've been told that a battery with low voltage will trigger the ABS light to go off because the ABS system needs a certain voltage to work. I can't confirm or deny this to be true...I am not a certified mechanic...but it would make sense in my circumstance...maybe your battery is the issue? :dunno:

Perhaps your battery is getting weak or weakening....When I test drove my 2006 at the dealers, the ABS light came on...got back to the dealer, turned off the truck...few minutes later, went out with salesman to show him, and it didn't turn on....I proceeded to buy the truck...fast forward about an hour later...I was leaving the dealership, and when I turned on the truck, the light came back on. When I got home, and parked the truck for a little while, I tried starting it, and the light was off, and remained off ever since then. The only thing I can think is maybe the battery was weak from the truck sitting on the lot. I've been told that a battery with low voltage will trigger the ABS light to go off because the ABS system needs a certain voltage to work. I can't confirm or deny this to be true...I am not a certified mechanic...but it would make sense in my circumstance...maybe your battery is the issue? :dunno:

Thanks for the info but the battery is fine and fairly new.
I know this because changing it blew the guts out of the 4WD Control Module last year.
Did Ford get anything right on these things?

Bump
Can anyone help me with this one please?

You need a code or you will be guessing and throwing parts at it.

The abs light is a common symptom of a failing wheel bearing. Do you hear a growling, ticking, humming type noise that increases and decreases with speed?

It's best to have the code read and go from there.

If you have an Autozone nearby, they have new code readers that can read ABS codes. They have to have the new readers, not all of them have them yet.

Already replaced the front bearing assemblies last year

It is a bit difficult to get the codes read here (in Australia).
The Ford Stealers charge $100 to do it.
I'd rather cut my wrists than give the *******s out here any money for their overinflated USA part prices.

Abs

abs light gos with bearings, but you said you change them last year. have you been running through water? if you have then it could be the bearing again.:yelexp:

When I replaced mine it lasted 1 year, almost to the day. Then I had to replace it again, because the sensor went out. That was with normal driving.

sowcone try to clean the rear sensor,because I had the same problem and I most of this problems it's because the sensors are dirty,I cleaned the three sensors and the problem it's gone,I cleaned the front sensors that are located in the front hubs,and the rear sensor is located on the back!!!!

Abs

On ford wheel bearings or hubs, when running in water the water washes out the grease and the bearing is shot. got it from a ford dealer. so don`t drive in water over the hub.:thumbsup:

My ABS light came on last week and is still intermitently coming on most days.

intermittent most likely is the master cylinder switch ($20 or so) most common failure, part is usually stocked. Also cruise was out, ABS light came on etc. If it hasn't been replaced it was cheaper to install than pay to have it tested.

the others usually from experience came on as soon as you started the truck and rolled 20 feet. Rear sometimes came on 10-15 minutes of drive and stayed on. ($50)
Fronts (damaged wire) as soon as the truck started.
hopefully this helps.

ABS light

cruise control deactivator switch. it located on the master cylinder. cost at ford dealer $41.00. It works the ABS and cruise control. it took me a little time ti find it.:usa:

Does anyone have an image of where the rear ABS sensor is located and what the part number would be?

Does anyone have an image of where the rear ABS sensor is located and what the part number would be?

my 99 rear abs sensor is located on the upperside of the rear differential. its the only item that has electrical connectors to it .

Back