ABS, Traction Control, Wrench light | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ABS, Traction Control, Wrench light

tlvanover

Reaction score
City, State
Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer Ltd
This morning on my way to work, my ABS light, Traction control light and the wrench came on. I was able to get to work with no problem. However, when I went to leave work at the end of the day, I wasn't able to drive. It kept jerking and throwing me into 4x4. Very weird. Never did that before. When jerking, it was like the breaks kept locking up because my tires would come to a screeching hault (and I wasn't going even 3mph)... :eek:

I'm horrified at what the cost might be and how many things I may have going wrong!! Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

2006 Ford Explorer Limited. Around 110K miles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like an ABS tone ring or the sensor came loose, check all 4 of the abs rings and sensors and you will most likely have one loose. The tone rings are pressed on and should not move at all when you check them. The cost of repair shouldn't be too bad. Turn off the RSC system and you should be able to drive it ok up to 25 MPH.

I REALLY hope that's all it is!! Thank you SO much for responding. I will at least be able to sleep tonight now. But what is the RSC system and how do I turn it off? LOL

Roll Stabiltiy Controll system, it is what the vehicle uses to get traction back to the tires by modulating the braking system and the throttle. There is a button in the middle console by the 4x4 buttons with a car with swiggly lines behind it. Hold it down for 5 seconds, I believe, and it turns everything off and the same image should be lit up in the information center indicating that it is turned off until the vehicle reaches 25 mph. Your owners manual talks all about how it works.

I had same thing on mine. It was one of the front ABS sensors, and I had to get the whole hub assembly - cost about $ 300.

Then I had it on one of my rear wheels, the ring cracked. Cost was $ 20, but few hours of work to get the new one on.

Great! Thanks so much! I will give this a shot!

I had a friend at a shop scan it to let me know which wheel had the issue. You need to know that before the next step. Not every Autozone has ABS scanners.

I have the same problem, I had been hearing noise from the front left wheel and today the ABS and TC light came on. When I tried moving it again it started grinding and struggling to move. I hope it is as simple as a sensor or tone ring, but it seems like a lot of grinding. In desperate need of positive encouragement!

Had the same thing. It was sensor in one of the fronts. New hub assembly fixed it. Part # HUB29

HUB 67 also. Cheaper :) That's what I used.

Back