• Register Today It's free!

AC Blows through the floor

dndsam

Reaction score
City, State
Arlington, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer Limited
I have an 02 Explorer XLT with manual AC controls. The problem I have is the AC blows throught the upper vents and the floor in the Max or normal vent position.

What could be some potential causes for this or is this normal?

The only thing I could think of is maybe the switch is going bad allowing the vacuum to leak through.

Any thoughts?

Doug

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I always felt some and figured it was normal, but it sounds like yours in blowing a lot more? Dunno....

I have an 02 Explorer XLT with manual AC controls. The problem I have is the AC blows throught the upper vents and the floor in the Max or normal vent position.

What could be some potential causes for this or is this normal?

The only thing I could think of is maybe the switch is going bad allowing the vacuum to leak through.

Any thoughts?

Doug

Are you saying that you can't switch the air flow to come out of the panel vents?

I have an '02 eddie bauer 6cyl climate control system. the air only blows from the windshield and floor and rear console vents no matter which mode button I press.Any ideas .Thanks

I have an '02 eddie bauer 6cyl climate control system. the air only blows from the windshield and floor and rear console vents no matter which mode button I press.Any ideas .Thanks

I was wondering if that was what the OP was trying to describe too. Anyway, it sounds like the panel door vacuum motor is not opening the door to allow air to flow out through the front panel vents. Verify if it is working or not:

Open the glovebox and squeeze the sides of it together and pull it forward and let it drop down out of the way.

Look through the opening up to the left to see the panel door motor (silver cylinder) with red tube running to it.

Switch on the AC and try pressing the button for panel vents and floor or defrost and back to panel on DATC system, or rotate the selector switch on manual system.

See if linkage rod on the vacuum motor extends/retracts to open/close the panel door.​

Let us know.

Thanks for the replies.The pictures were great help.I had dropped the glove box and checked the colored hoses but the pics showed exactly what to look for.Followed the red hose up to the motor.Swithed the vent modes and nothing happened(the arm wasn't broken like in the pics.pulled the arm back with my fingers and air came out the face vents,let go and it stopped.Before asking you whats next I checked to make sure the red tubing was on the motor good(it was) followed it down to next connection (ok) went into engine compartment and follwed what looked like vacuume lins from firewall and checked connections.None seemed to be loose or off but I went back to check arm again and it worked!! Sorry I don't really know what fixed it .Maybe just working it manually a couple times freeded it up. Anyways THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP! If only all fixes were this easy.

hi i have an 04 xlt .
when it is in defrost mode should i still have some heat at the side vents on the console. it isnt real strong blowing out the defrost either ? couldnt remember if this was normal.
the a/c and heat are so much better though since i replaced the actuator . i hated the clicking noise. i could see with the vent trim off and vent selected, i could see the temp blend door struggling with the actuator, nice and smooth now. all the doors and vac diaphrams seem ok and working . any imfo is appreciated
thanks again phil

I was wondering if that was what the OP was trying to describe too. Anyway, it sounds like the panel door vacuum motor is not opening the door to allow air to flow out through the front panel vents. Verify if it is working or not:

Open the glovebox and squeeze the sides of it together and pull it forward and let it drop down out of the way.

Look through the opening up to the left to see the panel door motor (silver cylinder) with red tube running to it.

Switch on the AC and try pressing the button for panel vents and floor or defrost and back to panel on DATC system, or rotate the selector switch on manual system.

See if linkage rod on the vacuum motor extends/retracts to open/close the panel door.​

Let us know.

Sorry it has taken a while to get back. I can get air flow through the vents. While it is coming through the vents, it is also coming through the floor as well, even when the selector switch is on vent only. It is like there is a vacuum leak, maybe a bad selector switch. Is that possible?

my defrost door near the dash on top of the hvac with yellow hose going to it. any help on repair

I have the same problem as that described below (by dyaco57). I activated the arm manually and air blows through vents. When I release it though it moves back so no air flows through dash. All vacuum lines appear to be connected under the dash and in the engine compartment. Next step - replace actuator? Or are there other possibilities?

Thanks for the replies.The pictures were great help.I had dropped the glove box and checked the colored hoses but the pics showed exactly what to look for.Followed the red hose up to the motor.Swithed the vent modes and nothing happened(the arm wasn't broken like in the pics.pulled the arm back with my fingers and air came out the face vents,let go and it stopped.Before asking you whats next I checked to make sure the red tubing was on the motor good(it was) followed it down to next connection (ok) went into engine compartment and follwed what looked like vacuume lins from firewall and checked connections.None seemed to be loose or off but I went back to check arm again and it worked!! Sorry I don't really know what fixed it .Maybe just working it manually a couple times freeded it up. Anyways THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP! If only all fixes were this easy.

Back