• Register Today It's free!

Ac Fan Quit Running???

bigtime57

Reaction score
City, State
Russell Springs, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I have a 99 Explorer EB SOHC that yesterday the AC was running fine cooling fine and all of a sudden the fan stopped blowing air, the rear unit was still running blowing air so my first instinct was a fuse. Checked all the fuses in the dash and even the relay under the hood and no change..bought new relays and fuses and replaced them all and still nothing. Took a volt meter to check to see if I was getting voltage to the motor and both terminals of the plug checked out 12 volts. I then took the fan motor out thinking it was the motor since I had juice to the plug. Checked the fan by jumping wires to the battery and it works fine. So now im stumped ....any suggestions on what to check next?? The Compressor is kicking in and the condensor is getting condensation on it while running but no air coming out of the vents. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I did try it on other setting (heat,def,etc) and no change

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lots of posts on this.... its your speed controller.

is the speed controller something that goes bad all of a sudden? I have never had any issues with my ac before this...just quit out of the blue. Where is the speed controller located?

if it blows only on high...its the fan resistor or if you have the auto climate control its an electronic unit that replaces the fan resistor located on the passenger side firewall. if it doesnt blow on any speed its most likely the fan control relay located behind the passenger side headlight in a rectangular black box. Seach the forums here and there'll be a pic in one of the posts for the location of both of your possible fixes.
AF

My fan will blow nothing, the rear still blows but nothing from the front vents, I took the speed controller out last night and switched with one I knew was good of a friends and still nothing. You mentioned the relay behind the passenger headlight...the manual only tells me of two relays and they are on the drivers side in the junction box. I have a relay box behind the passenger side headlight but If im thinking right its for the fog lights and etc....if they are one in that box behind the passenger light...which one is it. I am totally stumped here to find out this AC problem before my vacation trip starting this Friday.

Ac Fixed!!!!

I changed my speed controller and now everything is working fine!!! Thanks for all the help. One thing I did find out for any of you Junkyard Searchers. I called Ford for a new speed controller and a whopping 138.00 for the part was more than I was willing to pay just yet so I went to the local JunkYard and found a Speed Controller on a 2000 Crown Vic that plugged in and worked great for 10 bucks!!!!! the plug is on the side instead of the front but still mounted up and worked fine. So if anyone is in need on a speed controller go search your high end Fords and take your old one to check your connections but they are several out there that will work with your Explorer EATC system. Just a bit of FYI.

Back