AC only blows hot air... how can i fix it? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AC only blows hot air... how can i fix it?

CrazedEvilX

Reaction score
City, State
Newtown CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
98' XLT
my ac currently only blows out hot air and i was wondering how can i fix it for under 100$ if possible?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can also pickup a cheap gauge from autozone or similar auto parts store. It should only fit on your low pressure fitting, but check a Haynes manual or something for reference. Off the top of my head a reading between 25-35 pounds is full. If it's low I'd add a small can of ring conditioning oil/freon mix and see if it holds the pressure.

If it's empty you have a long road ahead of you, it will have to be vacuumed, leaks found and fixed, pressure checked and filled, most shops will charge you about $200-1k+ for this service depending on what needs to be replaced.

Take a look at this manifold gauge set: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=92649
92649.gif

Not that I would recomend that you try to do this without someone that is experienced, but.

1) get a pair of safety glasses and wear them before you try using a gauge set, if you screw it up you will want to protect your eyes.
2) make sure both of the valves on the gauge set are closed (the red and the blue),before you hook the gauge set up.
3) connect and disconnect the gauges when the engine is off!
4) Add freon only to the low pressure side (that's the blue valve)
5) make sure the freon can is right side up!!! Upside down will put liquid freon into the low pressure side, VERY BAD!!
6) The freon can will freeze as you charge your system, to prevent the can from freezing, put it into a bucket of warm water. Do not use any other type of heat,,IE open flame on the can to keep it warm.

Buy a book, and read up before you start, there is too much to cover in this type of forum. and make sure to wear safety glasses!

Back