acceleration problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

acceleration problem

hank91

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
I recently replaced a head on my 91 Ford Explorer 4.0 liter engine due to a blown head gasket. Now the engine starts up fine and begins by idling smoothly in the driveway. Then, after about a minute, it starts to stumble then shudders, catches itself and again idles smoothly. When I begin driving it will not accelerate properly for a couple of blocks but then kicks in and runs fine. What could be causing this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you replace it with the same head,90tm? Check all vac lines and spark plugs and maf plug.

I replaced the head with a new one as the old one was warped. I've checked all the spark plugs and vacuum lines. What is the maf plug?

Mass air flow plug.sounds like a fuel problem,fuel filter been changed?

I did not change the fuel filter as I could not see any reason as to why changing out the head would have related to the fuel filter. I was thinking that the problem is somehow related to the fact that the engine overheated when the head gasket blew thereby perhaps damaging some sensor.

not really any sensors that would get hurt by overheating on a 91.did you replace both heads,were they new,what was the model number on the new heads.does it do it all the time?plugs are new right?

I only replaced one head with a new one as the other one seemed to check out ok with my pressure test and did not reveal any wet plugs. I did not replace the spark plugs, I'm using the same ones as before the gasket blew.

I would start with some new ngk plugs.sounds like a plug fouling out or gas problem or sticky new valve.or you could have gotten the wrong head they make 5 different ones all that fit a 91ex

Back