Acceleration Problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Acceleration Problems

Gurch

Reaction score
I have a 98 Explorer XLT with V6 SOHC engine. I have recenlty noticed that when I am travelling apporx. 50mph and I step on the accelerator there is nothing there, basically no accleration. The vehicle seems to accelerate with some hesitation from rest to approx. 50mph but there doesn't seem to be anything there when travelling at higher speeds.

Does anyone haev any comments?

Regards,
Gurch

Does anyone have any comments.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well, i think i have found your problem, along with a lot of other peoples problem...we have 4.0 v6's, and theres the problem...not to put down our cars and engines, but we really dont have engines with much performance to speak of in our explorers, so we have to go out and buy stuff to make them run a little better...mine was the same way in my 99 sport, id get on the highway, and stomp on it goin about 50-60, and it seemed like nothin happened, or very little....so i got the k&n and flowmaster system,and i think it helped a little, or maybe my body just wanted to feel like it helped a little....

I don't know what that last guy was talking about but I'm pretty sure something is wrong with your truck. I have a 4.0 OHV and when I mash the pedal around 50 mph mine drops down a gear and revs up. I know this is true cause whenever a cop see's me in a 35 zone he tries to turn around before I can get away. Amazingly enough this has worked, but I did stop and he was suprised at how much room I had put between the two of us. 1/2 mile to be exact. No ticket.Ha. but really I think the problem might be in your transmission. With Explorers being so heavy we have to drop down a gear to get more torque. Get one of the younger guys at the transmission shop to drive it with you riding along. The younger guys tend to notice performance issues better since they drive just like us. When I burnt my tranny the old guy just said be easy on it and you wont have to do this again for a while. Crap. Well I had a few more problems right after I had it fixed and the only one that could work on it was a younger guy (25 or so). He said he tightened up the valving to give me better shifts cause he knew how I drove. If that is not it my Dad always said if their is something wrong with your car and you can't figure it out check the electrical system. Hey we can't see out right when electricity is not flowing right so check out your electricals.

Clayton Burris

Did anyone happen to notice that Gurch has a SOHC V6 NOT the OHC V6??!! I dodn't personally have this engine But I've heard a good deal about it and with over 200 horses it should definatly feel like theres something under the hood, even in a 2ton vehicle.
Gurch, without having personal experience with that engine I can only offer the basics which probally won't get you far but it might help. This may sound like a stupid question but does the trans. downshift when you try to accelerate? I assume you have the 5 speed auto which means it should shift down at least 1 (2 if you really floor it) gears at 50-60 mph. Beyond this, without knowledge of that engine, the only other obvious things are clogged air filter(it would have to be prety damn clogged), or problems with fuel delivery.
Hopefully someone that actually has a SOHC V6 can help you out more.

------------------
Brad Bottoms
92 XLT 4x4
My Philosophy is "Bigger is ALWAYS Better"

Hey Gurch,
I have a 97XLT SOHC, and after seeing your post tried it out. At 50mph I floored it and it down shifted 2 gears and the speedometer started climbing quickly until I let off of the gas pedal. If you don't have any power, then there is something wrong with your truck. take it to a shop and have it looked at. The SOHC has alot of get up and go, for a 6 cylinder that's attached to such a heavy truck. Could you give us some more details?

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L.
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC

really dumb question here,but which gear do you have it in when you are going 50 on the highway, if its D then you prob. wont feel it down shift twice if it is in O then the thing ought to tear your head off, tryin' to get out of dodge!

------------------
SCOTTC
93XLT 4X4 4DR.

Hey guy up top there is something definitly wrong I own a 92 with the ohv and a 98 with the sohc and I am here to tell you , aside from the torque my truck with the thirty two inch tires has the get up and go almost of my friends 98 tahoe , I have no complaints about the power, the only thing I could think of that could be different is mine has the 4.10 gears in it .

------------------
Ryan Jones
98 eddie baurer 4x4
2 inch lift
32x11.50 buckshots
manik brush gaurd and go rhino tail light gaurds
hella black majik driving light
jbl door speakers and kicker fifteen

92 explorer with two inches of lift
30x9.50 mud kings

mrjones98e@hotmail.com

sorry guys, i didnt mean to make it seem as though theres no power available in the OHV, i might have exaggerated a bit in my explaining what happens when i floor it going about 50-60...i mean of course, it rev's up and accelerates whem i punch it, but its nothin to brag about in my opinion....this is of course just my opinion, but to me the OHV is a very sluggish engine, espescially at highway speeds when tryin to pass...now when i posted my reply, i didnt realize that he had the SOHC motor, so i guess i really cant talk about his problem because i have never driven the SOHC....sorry for any mix ups people......

Gurch,

Lets take a step back, what tranny do you have? Does it have a towing package, better yet what rearend gear is in it?

Most importantly you said "I recently noticed" that the power is gone. Do you think that your power level has dropped or that you have just never noticed it before?

Have you modified or altered anything on the vehicle? If so what and when.

Once we get these answers I think we will all be able to draw a more logical answer to your question!

------------------
Rick Reynolds

91' Navajo - Stock.....not for long
67' Mustang - 25 psi Procharger, etc......
95' Integra - Hey, It's the wife's and I married into it. ;-)

Hello Rick,

Thank you for your reply. I had my explorer looked at in the shop and it was the torque convertor that was malfunctioning.

Thanks again,

Gurch
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial ">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rick Reynolds:
Gurch,

Lets take a step back, what tranny do you have? Does it have a towing package, better yet what rearend gear is in it?

Most importantly you said "I recently noticed" that the power is gone. Do you think that your power level has dropped or that you have just never noticed it before?

Have you modified or altered anything on the vehicle? If so what and when.

Once we get these answers I think we will all be able to draw a more logical answer to your question!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you for your comments.

Gurch

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial ">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CougarX:
Did anyone happen to notice that Gurch has a SOHC V6 NOT the OHC V6??!! I dodn't personally have this engine But I've heard a good deal about it and with over 200 horses it should definatly feel like theres something under the hood, even in a 2ton vehicle.
Gurch, without having personal experience with that engine I can only offer the basics which probally won't get you far but it might help. This may sound like a stupid question but does the trans. downshift when you try to accelerate? I assume you have the 5 speed auto which means it should shift down at least 1 (2 if you really floor it) gears at 50-60 mph. Beyond this, without knowledge of that engine, the only other obvious things are clogged air filter(it would have to be prety damn clogged), or problems with fuel delivery.
Hopefully someone that actually has a SOHC V6 can help you out more.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Back