Acceleration Problem and ticking sound | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Acceleration Problem and ticking sound

jeff.dunham

Reaction score
City, State
Fargo, ND
Year, Model & Trim Level
02' XLT 4.6 v8
2002 Ford Explorer
4.6 V8 w/ 73,000 miles

I have a problem with acceleration. When I accelerate (not under any load) I sometimes get a hesitation. It feels like a "bogging" down of the engine or a "misfire". When accelerating the vehicle will stay at a certain rpm for a second and then take off again. Also, when cruising down a highway it will began to jerk and seem to miss, even on cruise control. I have had it into a garage and they did some work to it. They did the following:
-replaced spark plugs, wires
-replaced one coil
-replaced coil plug wire boots
-replaced fuel filter
-replaced air filter
-cleaned Mass Airflow Sensor
-fuel pressure test (5lb over specs)
-*no fault codes were found*

The mechanic indicated that the vehicle was missing on mulitple cylinders but could not pinpoint the exact problem. The next step was to replace all eight coils which I told them no because it was just an expensive shot in the dark. The engine has died during cold idle a couple of times.

Also, I have a ticking noise between 1200-2500 rpms. I belive that it is a valve noise. Any help would be much appriciated.
Thanks,
Jeff Dunham

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im experiencing almost identical issues. Never a stall but I get that "jerk" or "spudder" and miss when I begin to accelerate and cruising speed down the freeway with the cruise control on.

I was told it could be coil # 3. I still need to bring it in for a diagnosis and find out what exactly is going on.

96 XLT 5.0 V8

I did a search "engine misses" and found this on a 6-24-2006.

Tankhokie -

Your V8 has two coil packs mounted infront of the air intake. They are a replacement for the older single coil and mechanical distributor system. Both are connected directly to the PCM, there is no ignition module or distributor, and only 8 ignition wires, not 9.

Many people have cured problems with their engines by replacing coil packs. Sometimes they fail outright and set a code, or can be diagnosed with a multimeter. Other times, they become weak under load and seem fine under test, but not in use.

If you have replaced plugs and wires, coil packs are your next (and only) ignition system componet that is not new.

If replacing coils, would suggest using aftermarket coils such as those made by Accel. You can special order them at Autozone, or get them in only a few days (and cheaper) from www.summitracing.com or www.jegs.com Do a search for "Ford EDIS coil" You must replace both coil packs.

Thanks for the info, I think I will try the mulitmeter each before spending 8x$75 bucks. Thanks again.
-Jeff

jeff.dunham said:
Thanks for the info, I think I will try the mulitmeter each before spending 8x$75 bucks. Thanks again.
-Jeff

Thats only 2x$75. Coils, if I am correct, come in groups of 4 so you only need 2.

The Motor in the Explorer is the 4.6 V8. Each spark plug has its own coil attached to it.

*Does anyone know what controls the coils, is it the computer or is there a timing sensor that regulates the firing of the coils?* I think that this problem is higher up in the command of the ignition.

Thanks for the comments though guys, I appricate your help with my problem.
-Jeff

Replaced the plugs and wires and issues resolved. No issues with the coils. Car is running like a champ.

Back