Accessing the AUX input on a HU

Hartman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 5.0
My Sony HU has an AUX input on the back, and I want to hook up my IPod to it. The problem is, I don't know how to access the port with the HU. The only options when pressing the Source button are Radio and CD. Any idea on how to access this? I've tried looking in the manual but it says nothing. Apparently, you're supposed to be able to switch to TV as well for a monitor, but I don't have that either. What gives?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After more searching, I found out I need a $100 source selector box just to have an AUX input. Screw this, I'm buying an Alpine.

yeah thats what i was going to say most head units that are not multimedia will need an extra cord or box to get the auxillary option to work. Even the alpine will need a 20 dollar cord to change from ai net to rca

Alright then I need a cord that converts a BUS Control In to a regular headphone jack I think.

rjahr01 said:
yeah thats what i was going to say most head units that are not multimedia will need an extra cord or box to get the auxillary option to work. Even the alpine will need a 20 dollar cord to change from ai net to rca

Or you could just buy an Eclipse which has a mini plug aux input that you don't need to buy any extra cords for, plus I'm sure it will sound better than your Sony.

My pioneer has a box that connects in-line between the headunit and the CD-changer. It gives my RCA ins for the iPod. The input was about 30 bucks on ebay.

I also needed to enable to aux source in the headunit's setup.

and if your going to buy a charger for the IPOD so you can charge it in the car you should buy the "sik imp" (yes thats spelled correctly) because it gives you a line level output rather than the belkin charger which is amplified or the ipod headphone jack which is also amplified. Things sound really bassy that way, plus with the sik imp's line level it is just a wire coming off of the dock so you can hide every wire. heres a pic

imp2_72dpi.jpg

I have the Belkin charger and really like it. The amplifier does not make it more "bassy," and is quite usefull since the Pioneer line in is rather soft. This way its nice and equalized in volume with the cd-player, radio, etc. Since it uses the iPod's dock connector audio out, the iPod volume control doesn't effect the level.

Also, When you unplug (or remove power from) the Belkin unit, it automatically pauses the iPod. I'm going to wire in another power point thats switched with the headunit for just this puprose. Pretty hot feature!

Hartman said:
After more searching, I found out I need a $100 source selector box just to have an AUX input. Screw this, I'm buying an Alpine.

2 choices,
A: check Pie (adaptor company) or soundgate for a Aux in adaptor for your current Headunit cost should be guessing around $30
B: Get a higher end Alpine Headunit w/ aux in and also Alpine is suppost to be coming out with a 2nd gen I-Pod control cable which will allow direct control of the Ipod though the Alpine headunit I think they were saying it will be out later this year though

I just bought the Belkin charger before I even came back to this thread. I have a cable with a headphone jack on one end and RCAs on the other. I was going to plug the headphone end of the cable into the Belkin charger and the RCA end into the BUS AUDIO IN on my HU. Then I was going to hardwire the cig lighter so everything is hidden. Hopefully it works out.

Well that didn't work (surprise!). I looked for the cable that converts the CD changer output to RCA outputs but I'm not finding it.

well after a little searching it seems that sony sucks! LOL while most other companies offer a cd-changer to aux in cable pretty cheap (alpines is $15, and kenwoods is $25) the sony corporation decided that there must be a signal sent to the port on the HU, which means they dont have a little cheap cord only more expensive boxes. Here is a website detailing a fix but it seems like software programming as well as electrical engineering is needed http://gnunilink.sourceforge.net/, the other option is the Sony XA-107 but i think its not worth it (at $100) id say get a cheaper HU with Aux in i suppose. sorry about that :banghead:

Edit i have found the Sony XA 300 adapter for $69.00 here:http://www.overstock.com/se/Sony_XA300_Auxiliary_Input_Adapter.html thats the cheapest ive seen it

Man I knew it. What a pile of garbage.

Why the heck would sony put a USB port, and a soundcard (D/A converter) in there???? Could be usefull if you have a pc in your car, but the majority of people just want RCA ins!!!

Sheesh!

Back