parad1mg

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
La Mirada, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Mounty 5.0 AWD
Hey guys,

I'm going to be replacing the accumulator on my 97 and possibly the orifice tube too while the systme is open and i have a few questions on it..

the shop will be discharging and recharging my system for environmental reasons and so that i dont screw this one up :D i'm only going to be replacing the said components and they will take care of the rest..

for the accumulator, how much oil do i put back in? do i use PAG 46 or 100?

on the orifice tube location, where do i find it? is it in the engine bay somewhere?

Thanks!

i finished this today and all i can say is, that was really easy :thumbsup:

it took 20 minutes with me taking my time..

some info for those who want to do this themselves and save up on some cash:

for the accumulator: i used PAG 46 and put 2.2 oz in it through the threaded hose part.. my old one still had oil in it..

for the orifice tube: it's directly underneath the accumulator and can also be seen through the wheel well.. remove the accumulator first then disconnect the tube and pull out the orifice straight out.. its kind of hard to remove at first since it has oil on it.. install the new one and lubricate the o-rings with the PAG oil..

*** i had the system discharged first by an a/c shop and told them i will be back when i finished installing the components to be replaced.. they hooked up the a/c recharger maching and vacuumed it for about 40 minutes, tested it for leaks which now did not have any after replacing the accumulator (i had a small continuous leak because of the old rusted one) and recharged the a/c /freon.. the machine automatically adds and or subtracts the right amount of PAG oil to the system too so i cant possibly screw it up..

end result was a constant 42 to 44 degrees on high blower with an outside temperature of 83 degrees.. i took a long drive around and i only had to put the blower on the lowest setting this time intead of full blast.. very happy with the results indeed and i was only out $165 for the whole repair :D

dont hesitate to ask if you have questions on this particular section of the a/c service.. as long as i know the answer to it i will gladly share the info..

Back