• Register Today It's free!

Add-a-leaf and the 'creeeeks'

jordan23

Reaction score
City, State
Madison, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport 4x4
I got an add-a-leaf installed in my 01 Sport springpack about 4 months ago...and EVER SINCE when I go over a steep driveway sideways I get this horrible CREEEEEEK in the passenger side rear!

Could this be a u-bold not tightened properly? Is it the leafpack itself? I don't know if they put 'spacers' inbetween those leafs or not...but I believe there was some small disc in the driver's side pack that has since slid out.

Thanks!

Jordan23

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know I have some noise from my 4" leaf pack, but I think it's the bushings that just need to be readjusted. What I plan to do is just to unscrew the spring purch bolt and let it stay loose and then bounce the truck up and down and let them settle out. Then bolt them up and see what'll happen. I'll probably throw some grease in as well.

-Drew

did up put a sh*t load of bear grease on the ends of the new leaf? because i had the same problem, i didn't put enough bearing grease on the end of the leaf, so i just left it go and it eventually wares in and doesn't squeak any. but i would still go threw and check all of the bolts, put a tq. wrench on it and make sure there to factory specs. other then that u should be fine.

Ok. It's probably just not greased properly then. I'll check all the bolts with a torque Hopefully these things will wear down soon...it's a little embarrassing pulling into any driveway!!!

ExplorerDMB which bushings do you suspect are your problem? I'm going to be putting the EE Poly bushings on my swaybars as soon as they arrive (in the next week).

Jordan23

How much lift did you get out of the add-a-leaf?

After the add-a-leaf, settling, and the Warrior shackles I have nearly 3 FULL inches of lift in the rear.

how much stiffer was it in the rear jordan?

It was considerably stiffer. I also changed my shocks to Sensatracs (and installed an EE swaybar) at the same time. I got the EE swaybar used...so I just placed an order for new poly bushings for the front and rear swaybars...

like annoyingly stiff or just old hick truck stiff?

I drive a Sport...so the ride isn't a Cadillac to start with...I actually enjoy the stiffer, more responsive ride. I felt the stock springs and shocks were too 'mushy' and 'bouncy'. With the addition of the Sensatracs--it's really a nice shored up ride. I can corner on a dime even being 3" taller!

When I take my truck to the dealer they can't believe it's a Sport because the ride is NOTHING like it was when it was stock. It's tough to describe...but it IS much better!

Greasing the leaves to eliminate the squeak isn't going to solve the problem. You're just going to end up with grease all over your leaf pack, especially with warm weather approaching. You can purchase the slider inserts from Eaton Detroit. Those replace the factory pads and will stop the squeak. If your AAL has holes near the leaf tips, these pads just snap into place.

Bronco638 said:
Greasing the leaves to eliminate the squeak isn't going to solve the problem. You're just going to end up with grease all over your leaf pack, especially with warm weather approaching. You can purchase the slider inserts from Eaton Detroit. Those replace the factory pads and will stop the squeak. If your AAL has holes near the leaf tips, these pads just snap into place.

didn't know the made those pads, good to know. i didn't have a problem with grease going everywhere, it stopped the speak for over a year now. if ur gona take them apart again, don't put grease in then, go with the pads, didn't know u could buy them or just wait a few months for them to wear in.

i need to get me one of them EE swaybars... :thumbsup:

Hey Bronco...do those slider inserts require me to disassemble the leafpack (again)?
:eek:

Unfortunately, yes.

I just stopped over to Madison Spring (here in Madison WI) and picked up the squeek stoppers for my spring pack. The old ones were worn in spots and non existant in others. The guy at the counter said I should be able to just jack up the rearend a bit and use a prybar to separate each leaf and put these plastic inserts in...

He also stated that most likely with the add-a-leaf where it was installed it wouldn't be creaking down there because that piece is so small it probably doesn't move on 'spring flex'...

I'll let you know if the sound subsides tomorrow!

Jordan23

jordan23 said:
I just stopped over to Madison Spring (here in Madison WI) and picked up the squeek stoppers for my spring pack. The old ones were worn in spots and non existant in others. The guy at the counter said I should be able to just jack up the rearend a bit and use a prybar to separate each leaf and put these plastic inserts in...

He also stated that most likely with the add-a-leaf where it was installed it wouldn't be creaking down there because that piece is so small it probably doesn't move on 'spring flex'...

I'll let you know if the sound subsides tomorrow!

Jordan23

Are those OEM or aftermarket squeek stoppers? If OEM can you post the part #'s? Thanks.

Lee

Aftermarket...they are little 2" (black plastic?) discs with a circular rise that fits into the holes that are drilled on either side of the leaf springs. They were under $1.50 each so I bought 8 of em.

Thanks...I gotta get my hand on some of those...been trying to narrow down a squeek for some time now...when I was installing my EE sway bar last week I noticed that 2 of those discs were worn away so I'm guessing they're probably the culprit.

Lee

Interesting, when I put the F150 leaves on my Ex, the pads were totally worn away. I did not install any new ones but the leaves don't make a sound. Guess I got lucky. The pads on my Ex leaves were still pretty much intact. Before you ask Lee, I still have some but not all of them. :D However, they do not come out easily and the center locking nub gets ruined on removal.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bronco638 said:
Before you ask Lee, I still have some but not all of them. :D However, they do not come out easily and the center locking nub gets ruined on removal.

:D I wasn't going to ask lol. I figure it's a lot easier to stop by the local spring/suspension place. I've gotta think these are fairly common. When I was installing my sway bar, I did manage to get most of them out with the use of some big screw drivers and a small pry bar. I just greased the ones that still had some meat on them and reinstalled them. The few that were worn are on my to do list.

Lee

Back