Add Adaptive Cruise Control | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Add Adaptive Cruise Control

jarettp

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Limited 4wd
So I was sitting here wondering if it would be possible to add adaptive cruise control (ACC from this point on) to my 2014 Limited Explorer. I looked around and found that I can actually order the assembly for it.
http://www.newautoparts.com/ford/au...e-control-system-scat/?part_number=dg1z9e731d
Can anyone else give me input on whether or not buying this would give me ACC capability? Would I need anything else? I'm assuming a steering wheel switch would be needed. Would I need reprogramming?

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any info on the HUD would be helpful too.

Possible...maybe...realistic, probably not.

Have to add the hardware (including the process of properly adjusting the radar), then figure out the programming changes that need to be made which would not be documented.

This was the only feature that didn't come on my '16 Sport. I wonder how difficult (impossible?) it would be to add this to the vehicle? It seems like this one was hard to find as an option on Sport unless you just upgraded to the Explorer Platinum, and it was found more commonly on Limited models.

This was the only feature that didn't come on my '16 Sport. I wonder how difficult (impossible?) it would be to add this to the vehicle? It seems like this one was hard to find as an option on Sport unless you just upgraded to the Explorer Platinum, and it was found more commonly on Limited models.
Using the "Search" command before starting a new thread is always recommended. In this case your thread has been merged with this existing one.
BTW, this is not the only feature that the Sport doesn't have.;)

Peter

Using the "Search" command before starting a new thread is always recommended. In this case your thread has been merged with this existing one.
BTW, this is not the only feature that the Sport doesn't have.;)

Peter

Thanks Peter. Yes, finding now that the Sport is lacking many features. No heated rear buckets. No rain sensing wipers. Hard to find adaptive cruise/braking system. That's too bad. I think they were able to add these features in Platinum though, maybe should have just ponyed up the extra $5k.

Thanks Peter. Yes, finding now that the Sport is lacking many features. No heated rear buckets. No rain sensing wipers. Hard to find adaptive cruise/braking system. That's too bad. I think they were able to add these features in Platinum though, maybe should have just ponyed up the extra $5k.

Not trying to be a smart@$$, but did you not compare features before "ponying" up for the Sport?

Well I too was a bit shocked in a couple sport features.. or lack there of.. I have the buckets and console in 2cond row but no heat.. that and the rain sensing wipers were a disappointment. I thought I had compared them completely but also thought I had missed it.
I have the ACC and collision avoidance and love it. I miss my RS wipers I had on my expedition limited. I assumed the sport was same or greater level than limited just more hp and handling.. Crap I guess ya gotta get something for the additional bucks. certainly was more than the Limited I looked at .. without the ecobeast ... Oh well. Shame on me.... dang it FOMOCO.

My boss's boss just came to the office with a new '17 Limited. I told him I was looking at the '17 Platinum instead for the very reasons you mentioned. The only thing I'm not getting is the DVD player (we are 55+ DINKs). I got spoiled with the automatic wipers and auto headlights on my '11 Fusion Hybrid and I like the toys. NOTE: I am getting an extended warranty and a service plan for all this electronic wizardry.

My boss's boss just came to the office with a new '17 Limited. I told him I was looking at the '17 Platinum instead for the very reasons you mentioned. The only thing I'm not getting is the DVD player (we are 55+ DINKs). I got spoiled with the automatic wipers and auto headlights on my '11 Fusion Hybrid and I like the toys. NOTE: I am getting an extended warranty and a service plan for all this electronic wizardry.
The auto headlamps is nice, the auto high beams, not so much. I ended up turning that feature off on both my previous MKT and my Platinum. Auto wipers are nice also even if they do sometimes trigger on a nice sunny day.:) The ACC is one of my favourite features.

Peter

This option is available on explorers since its newly redesigned model inception in 2011. The wiring should be there and definitely need to tweak the ABD of the truck.

This option is available on explorers since its newly redesigned model inception in 2011. The wiring should be there and definitely need to tweak the ABD of the truck.
Welcome to the Forum Thomas.:wave:
Yes, the Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) has been available for the 2011+ Explorers but not on every trim level. As Jason mentioned in post #3, I doubt it would be an easy add-on if it is even possible to do. Many members have added or enabled features using Forscan but no one has mentioned or added ACC.

Peter

So I was sitting here wondering if it would be possible to add adaptive cruise control (ACC from this point on) to my 2014 Limited Explorer. I looked around and found that I can actually order the assembly for it.
Shop For Parts By Year | NewAutoParts.com
Can anyone else give me input on whether or not buying this would give me ACC capability? Would I need anything else? I'm assuming a steering wheel switch would be needed. Would I need reprogramming?

Thanks in advance!
Hi there, were you able to do it?

Hi there, were you able to do it?
Welcome to the Forum Nick. :wave:
Another new member from Alberta. Don't be surprised if you don't receive an answer. The member you quoted was last seen here on Nov. 27, 2017.

Peter

Since this is being dug up, I haven't done it to an explorer, but I did it to our Ford Fusion, and it wasn't really that hard. However, our fusion was a hybrid so I skipped one of the more difficult steps, the ABS module. On the bright side it's separate from the actual valve body so you don't have to drain the brake fluid etc. You need the ACC unit and bracket, wire pigtail, ACC cruise switch and abs pump from a ACC equipped car. I can't remember if the explorer dash has the HUD blanking plate or a different dash, you can either add the hud or just run without it and live with the error when you run forscan. It should work as the system is self contained, if you want to add stop and go on a later explorer you'll need more work and or parts depending (CADS III module, same with ABS and the camera used for lane keeping and then the camera and acc module have to be wired together on their own canbus connection)

Back