Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Windsor County, VT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Silver Explorer ST
Callsign
N3KDJ
I am just wondering if anyone has added any further alarm/security protection beyond what is afforded by the stock perimeter alarm system?
One thing I miss from other vehicles is a blinking LED indicator showing status of the alarm...armed...has been triggered..etc.
I am also not sure that we have any glass breakage or motion sensor protection in the incuded alarm functions??
As I look at Viper and Avital systems I am wondering if anyone has added one of these systems..especially a 2-way system that tells you the status of the car on your remote. It seems Viper makes an interface/bypass for the Explorer for $49 above the base system and installation.
Anyone added these or anything else?

I'm thinking about it also, as I want an interface to be able to close my windows, and SR with a fob. Not having an 'armed' blinking light makes me feel vulnerable.

...but, no alarm will stop someone who really wants it!

Alarm

Agreed on not stopping everyone, but an additional alarm sometimes helps that criminal move on and choose an easier target.
I guess I should get more informed first really..I wonder if we have the following in the 2012 Explorer (Limited in my case):

Tilt/motion sensor if struck, jacked up to remove wheels or towed? Y/N?

Interior motion detector- set off by someone breaking glass or reaching into the vehicle with windows down? Y/N

Glass breakage detection? Y/N?

Alarm status LED? NO

Ability to lower windows and open roof from key fob? NO (as far as I know)

Ability to close windows and roof from key fob? NO

Alarm automatically re-arms itself after being triggered? Y/N?

I think it's NO to all of those right. OTOH, I don't really want to get to carrying two key fobs around all the time. Will have to see what's out there, sometimes an alarm company will offer an interface module to integrate new capabilities with present ones- I imagine I'd end up with two key fobs though given the proximity unlocking huh.

Agreed on not stopping everyone, but an additional alarm sometimes helps that criminal move on and choose an easier target.
I guess I should get more informed first really..I wonder if we have the following in the 2012 Explorer (Limited in my case):

Tilt/motion sensor if struck, jacked up to remove wheels or towed? Y/N?

Interior motion detector- set off by someone breaking glass or reaching into the vehicle with windows down? Y/N

Glass breakage detection? Y/N?

Alarm status LED? NO

Ability to lower windows and open roof from key fob? NO (as far as I know)

Ability to close windows and roof from key fob? NO

Alarm automatically re-arms itself after being triggered? Y/N?

I think it's NO to all of those right. OTOH, I don't really want to get to carrying two key fobs around all the time. Will have to see what's out there, sometimes an alarm company will offer an interface module to integrate new capabilities with present ones- I imagine I'd end up with two key fobs though given the proximity unlocking huh.

Don't forget a hood pin when the hood is opened, the alarm will go off. I speak from experience... got broken into. The opened the hood and cut all the wires leading from my battery... killed all alarms and then they went to town on the inside... :(

Back