Add gas to the tank, Miles to E decreases? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Add gas to the tank, Miles to E decreases?

TommyBoy2011

Reaction score
City, State
IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer XLT 4wd
So I drive my wife's Ex once a week to fill it up, gas is cheaper in MO then in IL. On my way into work I fill it up, no problem. Miles to E reads what it normally does (392 to E). On my way home I stop by another station to fill up my gas tanks (5x5gal), and since I put about 60 miles on the Ex I top it off too. Miles to E had read 33X before topping off. After starting the Ex back up, now with a full tank, miles to E said 315. :confused:

I thought it would clear up as I drove along, but it hasn't Miles to E have been decreasing as the odometer miles have been increasing. At this pint I've got a little more then a half tank and less than 130 miles to E.

Anyone else experience this? Might pulling the battery cable and letting it set for a hour or so clear the computers confusion?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I drive my wife's Ex once a week to fill it up, gas is cheaper in MO then in IL. On my way into work I fill it up, no problem. Miles to E reads what it normally does (392 to E). On my way home I stop by another station to fill up my gas tanks (5x5gal), and since I put about 60 miles on the Ex I top it off too. Miles to E had read 33X before topping off. After starting the Ex back up, now with a full tank, miles to E said 315. :confused:

I thought it would clear up as I drove along, but it hasn't Miles to E have been decreasing as the odometer miles have been increasing. At this pint I've got a little more then a half tank and less than 130 miles to E.

Anyone else experience this? Might pulling the battery cable and letting it set for a hour or so clear the computers confusion?
I really don't see the problem here. When you fill up, the miles to E is calculated on the average mpg of the last tank. When you filled up the second time your average mpg must have been lower than that of the first fill so it will give a lower miles to E. It is normal that the miles to E decreases as your odometer climbs. You are after all using gas to travel. If your average mpg decreases, your miles to E will drop as well since it is constantly being updated.
When I did my 3.6.2 update, I used 4 kms worth of gas just sitting in the driveway.

Peter

what's important is how much did your average MPG change in that time. It's constantly calculating the average mpg over the last X miles and then the remaining gallons in the tank to estimate your remaining miles.. idle time, uphill, etc will all affect remaining miles

Did you type 392 miles to E? was that a typo? I fill up and get about 215 to E on a full tank. What gives...

Did you type 392 miles to E? was that a typo? I fill up and get about 215 to E on a full tank. What gives...
The miles to E reading depends on what your average mpg reading shows. If that is low, your miles to E will also be low. I would say that 215 is not very good. I consistently get a reading of around 340 - 360 miles to E. I've had it show as high as 385 when I was driving more highway miles. Of course in the colder months that reading will be lower.

Peter

what's important is how much did your average MPG change in that time. It's constantly calculating the average mpg over the last X miles and then the remaining gallons in the tank to estimate your remaining miles.. idle time, uphill, etc will all affect remaining miles

MPG actually calculated up. I average 25mpg when I drive (98% interstate), my wife averages 22mpg (in town & 2 lane highways).

JHC! My ave fuel eco is 12.8mpg with 75% in town - NYC driving. Damn i am working to pay for gas.

Back