Rhett

Let Them Eat Cake
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Cape Girardeau, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Sport 4x4
I am thinking about adding a second gas tank where the spare tire goes on my 94 Sport. I know someone with a 33 gallon tank on a wrecked Bronco II that might fit under there. I would re-locate the spare to the back, using a hinged carrier that many people have for their Explorers.

Has anyone added a second gas tank to their rig?
Also were can you get the hinged spare tire carrier for the Explorer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Adding second fuel tank

Before my project got sidelined,I located replacement fuel tanks,(30gal) and a secondary fuel tank that goes in place of the spare tire,(25gal). Don`t know if there still making them. Call Aero Tanks,1-800-783-4826, 1-909-737-7878, There address is 1820 Wild Turkey Circle, Corona, Ca. 91720. Hope this helps, courious my self, my project is back on line.

RETRONAIL
Wheel On!

Rhett,

Dont know about your friend but my 87 Bronco II only had a 23 gallon tank not 33. I did not think there was much extra room under it for 10 more gallons.

His 89 Bronco II had EVERY option, tubular bumpers, the whole 9 yards. I don't know if he's right or not, but he said it was a 33 gallon tank. That seems like a lot to me as well, maybe it is only 23 gals.

But even if it's only 23 gallons, that would be my stock 19.3 (or is it 19.5?) gallon tank plus 23 gallons, total of 42.3 gallons of gas in my Explorer. That would give some good range.

I noticed in the JC Whitney catalog that they had a 66-76 1/2 and a 71-76 1/2 Bronco 11 gal tank to replace "the low volume 8-gal front mount tank" (p.46, catalog 639K-06). I'm going to call the Aero people, thanks for the tip. Rhett, you think it's bad for your '94, my '01 has just 17.5 gal capacity! If you look under and above the spare, it looks like a small spare tank will fit in between the spare and the back floor. With Firestones on, I'm not getting rid of the spare and I'm out of room in the Carmate trailer. You have to get sending units and electric valves and what all to do this?

I do know that a valve would be needed, and a switch up in the cab to allow you to change to the 2nd tank.

Supposedly JC Whitney has a tank that will fit in an Explorer. I heard this second-hand so I will have to look in a catalog myself soon.

Back