• Register Today It's free!

Adding Subwoofer

Argos587

Reaction score
City, State
WYLIE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLT V6
I'm thinking of adding subwoofer to my 2001 Explorer XLT (not Sport Trac). Not looking to rattle any windows, just create a more full sound. Since this was built without a subwoofer from factory, looking for any ideas and thoughts of adding the setup ( box location, speaker, amp, wiring, modifying panels, etc) and factory box/amp set up vs aftermarket. I can handle installation/modification my self.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you’re just looking to add low end extension build a box where the factory box goes. If you remove that passenger side cargo area side cover there’s a fair amount of space back there. Enough air space for an 8 or 10, maybe enough for a small volume 12 if you get creative.

Are you using the factory radio?

If you’re just looking to add low end extension build a box where the factory box goes. If you remove that passenger side cargo area side cover there’s a fair amount of space back there. Enough air space for an 8 or 10, maybe enough for a small volume 12 if you get creative.

Are you using the factory radio?
I did discover the factory placement and building a box is definitely an option. I currently have the factory radio (CD and cassette option :eek:). Was considering more modern radio option which led to the subwoofer option discovery. Not sure if my radio has subwoofer connections, but most newer ones do. Will need to modify the rear panel as it's solid at the moment. Considering building vs purchasing the box.

You’d need to use a line out converter, there are no factory RCAs.

I’d probably start with a cheap double din to get Bluetooth and an on screen navigation.

You’d need to use a line out converter, there are no factory RCAs.

I’d probably start with a cheap double din to get Bluetooth and an on screen navigation.
A new radio it is then.
Thanks.

I acquired a factory sub woofer, amp, box set up and a line out converter. Hooked everything up and nothing from the subwoofer. Below is the wiring set up at the amp. Can someone let me know if the wiring set up is incorrect or any ideas? ( I did ohm the subwoofer and measured 3.5 ohms.)
black/green - ground
green/violet - 12v
violet/blue - 5v
red/black - speaker +
grey/orange - speaker -

Maybe the amp itself is bad? If you have a line out converter, I’d probably just spent $25 and upgrade the factory amp.

I would not even bother trying to integrate the OEM subwoofer and amp. Easier to just add aftermarket...

1612863274836.png

1612863351029.png

Back