• Register Today It's free!

adding to my 02 xls

flutyr525

Reaction score
City, State
Clifton Park, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLS
few questions before i pull the trigger on some purchases. i have a 2002 xls that doesnt have the keypad entry on the drivers door, a DVD entertainment for the rear, has just a plan rearview mirror, no overhead console, manual turn dial knobs for heat and a/c, visors with no lights, regular power side mirrors with no heat feature or blinker, etc. i have found different OEM parts that i thought about purchasing but didnt know how difficult it would be if at all possible. my biggest issue is wiring...is the wiring/plugs all there already or will i have to run it myself and tap into something else?

climate control

roof mounted oem dvd system

keypad entry trim

autodim mirror

visors with lights

once again...looking to see if any or all of these items are plug and play or with little to no modification. thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

few questions before i pull the trigger on some purchases. i have a 2002 xls that doesnt have the keypad entry on the drivers door, a DVD entertainment for the rear, has just a plan rearview mirror, no overhead console, manual turn dial knobs for heat and a/c, visors with no lights, regular power side mirrors with no heat feature or blinker, etc. i have found different OEM parts that i thought about purchasing but didnt know how difficult it would be if at all possible. my biggest issue is wiring...is the wiring/plugs all there already or will i have to run it myself and tap into something else?

climate control

roof mounted oem dvd system

keypad entry trim

autodim mirror

visors with lights

side mirrors with heat and puddle lights

once again...looking to see if any or all of these items are plug and play or with little to no modification. thanks.

im pretty sure the climate control is not plug and play. the side mirrors should be plug and play. the other things i am not sure about however.

How would I control the heat feature on the side mirrors since I don't already have that feature?

How would I control the heat feature on the side mirrors since I don't already have that feature?

They come on automatically with your rear defroster... I've got all the options you listed already, except the DVD player. I've thought about adding it myself, but it's pretty low on my list. I'm interested to see what everyone thinks about adding it.....

What you need to do is sell me all your stuff off your explorer and be done with it. But a DVD player would be cool.

What you need to do is sell me all your stuff off your explorer and be done with it. But a DVD player would be cool.

Yeah, that'll happen...lol.

It is a must for children... And for any long trips......
Love it and was a major selling point...

The side mirrors are indeed direct plug and play. I got some from Rock Auto a while back and while I like them, I got two LH mirrors that just don't seem to go up as high as the OEM mirrors did. I'm 6'3" and find myself ducking down a little bit to see more than about 10 feet behind me in that mirror.

well im glad to hear the mirrors are plug and play. now is there a plug and play mirror out there with the power, heat, and blinker option? maybe a 4th gen mirror or something?

well im glad to hear the mirrors are plug and play. now is there a plug and play mirror out there with the power, heat, and blinker option? maybe a 4th gen mirror or something?

The gen 3 and 4 explorers don't have any trim line that had blinker mirrors only the aviators do. There is however a signal mirror kit available and there is a writeup on the forum by rondo on the install.

are the aviator side mirrors plug and play or completely different?

are the aviator side mirrors plug and play or completely different?

Plug and play I believe but the turn signals need to be wired

Flu...are you asking for mirrors with the turn signals on the glass or on the front of the housing?

well i took care of the mirror situation...picked up a set off a mountaineer that has the heat and puddle light. now ill just have to mod them for the blinkers if its that important to me lol!

Back