• Register Today It's free!

Adding Puddle Lights to 02 XLS

mikeytotka23

Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLS
I read a thread on here which says the 06-09 side mirrors will fit on 02-05 Explorers. I plan on buying them on eBay for $112, and I would like to get the ones with puddle lights. My current mirrors do not have puddle lights. Does anyone know if the wires are the same on 4th gen as 3rd gen? And also, if the wires are already there for the puddle lights even though the stock mirrors don't have the lights? Any help would be much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i believe the wires are already there. most cars are wire for every option, only some of the wires are used though.

Just find GEN3 mirrors with that option. IMHO, it would look better than a GEN3 with GEN4 mirrors....

Just find GEN3 mirrors with that option. IMHO, it would look better than a GEN3 with GEN4 mirrors....

I'd have to disagree. I think the 4Gen mirrors look fantastic on the 3rd gen.

Yes, the 3rd and 4th gen mirrors are interchangeable, same wiring. There is a member here that just recently put 4th gen power mirrors on his 3rd Gen. Said it was a straight swap.

Yes, it has been confirmed it's a straight swap, and a lot of members have done this.

I did it, plug and play, 15min per door :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone. And by the way, I definitely think the 4th gen mirrors are way better on 3rd gens. They're bigger and the shape is much better, the round mirrors look ridiculous.

I just did it as well and it looks so much better and increases visibility. I would look around on eay I got brand new Ford ones for $100 shipped. The aftermarket replacement ones just looked cheap to me.

Back