Adding Tow Mode, Sport mode, USB media hub, fog lamps, etc. to a 2017-2019 PIU 3.7L (Not 2011-2015) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding Tow Mode, Sport mode, USB media hub, fog lamps, etc. to a 2017-2019 PIU 3.7L (Not 2011-2015)

goots

Reaction score
City, State
Somewhere, USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford PIU 3.7L TI-VCT
I could use some help here... I have searched the forums and been unsuccessful in finding this information.

I have read about people successfully adding tow mode to Explorers, but haven't found anyone reporting that they were able to do it with a PIU. On Tasca Parts website there is a Tow Mode module (BB5Z-13D730-EA) that says it fits the 2017 PIU, but have held off on purchasing it because I can't find anyone else who has done it with a PIU. Supposedly you can just plug the module in and the PCM will lockout overdrive and change shift strategy for towing. This is how folks are getting a 5000lb tow rating when their explorers didn't come with the tow package.

There is even less to be found about the possibility of adding sport mode to the 2017-2019 PIU. I enjoy the sport mode on our company's 2022 F150 with the 3.7L so adding it to the PIU would be really nice. Looking through the Forscan forums there is no information on the PIU's and sport mode. Any possibility that sport mode is unlockable on the PIU's?

I've also been trying to add a USB media hub, and have a slot for it, but all the forum posts about it are for 2011-2016 models. On the 2017 models (which come with Sync 3 non-touch), is it possible to add a USB media hub by just purchasing one and then enabling it in Forscan? Also there is a lot of confusion on part numbers for this media hub. If someone has a good part number for one that they know works with the 2017 PIU, I'd appreciate it.

Finally, my PIU has an Explorer front facia with the fog lights but there are no bulbs installed. I'm looking to find out if A) the wiring harness is there for the fogs lights, and B) if I can purchase a different lighting switch assembly that has the fog light button on it, unlock it in Forscan, and enable the fog lights. Again, past experience or known part numbers for this re-fit would be super helpful.

Thanks in advance for any help, and if I find out something on my own, I'll update this post so others can also benefit from it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

FYI, you cannot change the legal tow rating of the vehicle once it has left the factory regardless of what mods you add to it. The GVWR was set by the manufacturer and cannot be changed by anyone but the manufacturer. I believe the PIU rating is 2500 lb.
Also, to my knowledge, no one has attempted to add the Sport mode to a PIU. I don't know if it's even an option.
As for the fog lights, there are several threads on that.

Peter

FYI, you cannot change the legal tow rating of the vehicle once it has left the factory regardless of what mods you add to it. The GVWR was set by the manufacturer and cannot be changed by anyone but the manufacturer. I believe the PIU rating is 2500 lb.
Also, to my knowledge, no one has attempted to add the Sport mode to a PIU. I don't know if it's even an option.
As for the fog lights, there are several threads on that.

Peter
The ability to lock out OD and alter shift points to make towing more enjoyable is the goal with enabling the Tow Mode logic in the PCM. If a $50 module can do it, like with the Explorers, then it would be a nice thing to have. I already have the harness for it, and based on posts from non-PIUY owners, it's as easy as plugging the Tow Mode button module in. 2017 was the first year for Secure Idle, which uses the same button panel as Tow Mode. Years prior to 2017 it has been mentioned that the harness isn't installed for the Tow Mode button on the PIU, but 2017-2019 it is. I haven't found anyone who has done it. It would be a $50 gamble for me at this point to see if it works or not.

Sport mode looks like it is controlled from the "Terrain Management" module switch that is in the Explorer center console. On the F150, it's in the cluster menus. It would be awesome if it could be added to the PIU, but no high hopes for it. Even the Forscan forums are devoid of any information on doing it in a PIU. There is a mention of it by someone years back but they never went into detail on if they got it working when they installed a Explorer center console into their PIU.

I've found a lot of threads on fog light installs, but nothing really solid for for the 2017-2019 PIU's. In 2017 they changed to LED headlights from projectors, and the harness changed as well. I've found people with 2011-2016 models sharing their success stories with adding fog lights, but was hoping someone with the 2017-19 variant could help me out with what needs to be done, if it's even possible, and if it's the same as the 2011-2016 where you can buy a $37 harness and a lightswitch with the fog light button and then enable it with Forscan.

LED low beams changed from projectors in '16. High beams went to regular incandescent lamps to work with wig-wags, this was the same through 2019. A lot changed in the model refresh from 2015 to 2016.

I plan at some point to add the fog lights to mine, and was told by the lead tech at my Ford store that you should NOT tie into the factory wiring, but use a separate, dedicated relay, switch, etc.

I'd bet that simply adding a "tow" module is not going to work with a FPIU. I'd expect the same for Sport Mode.

LED low beams changed from projectors in '16. High beams went to regular incandescent lamps to work with wig-wags, this was the same through 2019. A lot changed in the model refresh from 2015 to 2016.
Do you have a part number for the PIU headlight? My RH LED low beam went out after going through a car wash yesterday.

The high beam is a 9005...I think the LED is serviced with the entire assembly...

The high beam is a 9005...I think the LED is serviced with the entire assembly...
Correct. An entire new headlight assembly is required to replace the LED headlight.

How do you tell which one you have? Here is what I pulled up for the 2017 PIU:

Code:
 Right                  
  Headlamp Prep Pack                  
   To 4/4/18............................    2016-18    FB5Z13008AJ
  Reflect Headlamp Design...............    2016-19    FB5Z13008Z
  Level 2 Headlamps.....................    2016-18    FB5Z13008AE
  Level 3 Headlamps                  
   To 4/4/18............................    2016-18    FB5Z13008AK
  Level 4 Headlamps                  
   To 4/4/18............................    2016-18    FB5Z13008AG
  Level 5 Headlamps.....................    2016-19    FB5Z13008AB
  Level 6 Headlamps.....................    2016-19    FB5Z13008X
  Level 7 Headlamps                  
   To 4/4/18............................    2016-18    FB5Z13008B

As Peter stated, check by VIN. There's at least 2 different types for the PIU, depending on if you have the Whelen headlight package for the wig-wags or not, among other things.

So I have done some research on this and it would take a lot of work to get working. I don't currently have the tow button, but I have reprogramed the PSCM, SSCM and ABS to reflect the programing of a 2018 XLT with tow package with the same transmission, PTU, and axle ratio as the PIU. So tow mode should work for me when I get the right controller. Maybe a few changes in the BCM.

As far as select shift, I went to ford parts.com and searched for the Automatic transmission control module and it says all available part numbers fit My PIUs vin as well as XLT vins with a 6F50/55. This leads me to believe that it would be solved with changes in PCM BLock ID information, a higher level IPC (platinum clusters can be had for 140 on ebay), floor shift controller And steering column/controller changes. Maybe less if you like rehashing electrical systems. I can say from experience and a lot of research that most of the modules are the same for the 18 model year. Even the BCM has the code on the back so with the right wiring harnesses you can add just about anything the XLT or higher trims have. The PCM is cross compatible too. You would need access to at a minimum forscan with a good USB reader or more preferably, as well as costly, IDS. Either way it will take a good amount of planning and research. some tools to help with this I'll link below.

Use this to find code that will work with vehicles that have the same sets of modules that your vehicle has

Use this to compare two sets of asbuilt data as opposed to how I did it by hand the first time. CompulsiveCode - AsBuilt Explorer

Use this to see what parts are cross compatible between vins, it works with wiring harnesses too, although if you swap out enough of them just about anything can be made to work. you can use this and ebay if somethings on back order through ford.

honestly the biggest barrier to getting the larger projects working is PATS but I'm looking into getting that problem solved without having to ship anything out. If I figure that one out I'll let everyone know. And if anyone thinks these vehicles are secure because of pats your wrong RF signals are really easy to take, copy then retransmit with devices like the flipper zero. These days the best security systems are mechanical in nature, they would also probably seem like an inconvenience in todays world.

Back