• Register Today It's free!

Admiring my Shadow Black Platinum

stever40

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Sport
I have had a few vehicles from Expeditions, F150's, F250's, Saleen Mustang, Edge etc, and I want to say, the Explorer Platinum might be, if not the best vehicle I have owned.

Here are a few pics of my Shadow Black Platinum. I added the Ionic CXV running boards, Weather Tech floor mats, and the Explorer hood emblem.

image_zpsix1xd8f4.jpg

image_zpsersc6to4.jpg

image_zpsgi9gaj6t.jpg

image_zpsyfmckalb.jpg

image_zpslscg9zzl.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Congratulations Stever40, and best of luck with your new Platinum.
I have to agree with you 100%. This is the best Explorer Ford has put together so far. I have been leasing Ford Explorers and Expeditions since they first came out in 1991 and I had a 2012 Limited Fully loaded which I traded back to the dealer after only 1 year for a 2013 Explorer Sport. Although both of the 2012 and 2013 Explorers were excellent and I loved the Sport performance this Platinum Explorer is in a league of its own. The cabin is so quiet and the ride is so sublime. I have been an Audiophile for over 25+ years and Sony is one brand that I will not even think of looking at but I have placed closed attention to the sound of this "Clear Phase" and "Live Acoustics" Sony system and without even a break in period on the system the sound is amazing. Hard to believe that Sony can put a nice car system together to sound as good as this one.
This 2016 Ford Explorer Platinum has exceeded my expectations in every way possible. From the Nirvana Soft Cream Leather Interior to the Sony 'Clear Phase" Live Acoustics" system to the quietness of the interior cabin and the sublime ride it is without a doubt the BEST EXPLORER TO DATE.

Very nice! i'm admiring it too. Congragulations and enjoy.

Thank you HS. Really enjoying this Explorer.

Congratulations Stever40, and best of luck with your new Platinum.
I have to agree with you 100%. This is the best Explorer Ford has put together so far. I have been leasing Ford Explorers and Expeditions since they first came out in 1991 and I had a 2012 Limited Fully loaded which I traded back to the dealer after only 1 year for a 2013 Explorer Sport. Although both of the 2012 and 2013 Explorers were excellent and I loved the Sport performance this Platinum Explorer is in a league of its own. The cabin is so quiet and the ride is so sublime. I have been an Audiophile for over 25+ years and Sony is one brand that I will not even think of looking at but I have placed closed attention to the sound of this "Clear Phase" and "Live Acoustics" Sony system and without even a break in period on the system the sound is amazing. Hard to believe that Sony can put a nice car system together to sound as good as this one.
This 2016 Ford Explorer Platinum has exceeded my expectations in every way possible. From the Nirvana Soft Cream Leather Interior to the Sony 'Clear Phase" Live Acoustics" system to the quietness of the interior cabin and the sublime ride it is without a doubt the BEST EXPLORER TO DATE.

100% Spot on NY1! IMO the seats have lived up to the hype. Not sure if I would want the Nirvana Black. the color offset in the interior works great together. The Sony sound system is far superior to Audiophile and other systems I have had. The quietness when driving is great but gives just enough rumble when you step on it. The feeling of control/stability etc. is also great. Loving it so far.

There are a couple nuances that can be improved upon like foot placement for the driver. My left foot is too close to the brake pedal when fully extended. Ford could get ride of or reduce the hump.

Second - The rear center console could have a charging port inside of it. This way things could be charging and stowed at the same time.

Third. I miss the catch all tray in the main center console for smaller items.

And last - I'm not sure about the DVD system yet. I installed a DVD system in my wife's edge that played the sound through the FM transmitter (without using the headphones) Because of where I live I found that I needed to constantly change the FM channel due to reception. I had my dealer install a FM booster which did eliminate this issue. My previous Expedition had a factory installed DVD which all I needed to do was push the AUX button on the radio and all was good. It appeared that the Expedition DVD did not operate through a FM transmitter and was direct to the radio. I didn't realize that Ford went the FM transmitter route with this DVD system. I should have did a little more homework first but its a simple fix if a booster needs to be installed. I still need to try it out.

All of these things are minor for me and I could list several more if I were talking about all my past cars. The Ex Platinum is still far superior!! .

Is the grill on the 2016 explorer in USA different from that sold in Canada?

this is the grill in Canada.
824628d8-bf62-4e40-a4be-f5f59868dec3-XXL.jpg

Its misleading but i think they meant the color platinum white. They want you to think that it's a good deal for the platinum and go upto them and ask them and then they deny they that they ever put up something like that on ther internet and try to talk you into getting the xlt.

Seems you are correct. How they could instead show the wrong photos for the Platinum?

http://erinwoodford.com/view/new-2016-ford-explorer-54554/

Thank you HS. Really enjoying this Explorer.

100% Spot on NY1! IMO the seats have lived up to the hype. Not sure if I would want the Nirvana Black. the color offset in the interior works great together. The Sony sound system is far superior to Audiophile and other systems I have had. The quietness when driving is great but gives just enough rumble when you step on it. The feeling of control/stability etc. is also great. Loving it so far.

There are a couple nuances that can be improved upon like foot placement for the driver. My left foot is too close to the brake pedal when fully extended. Ford could get ride of or reduce the hump.

Second - The rear center console could have a charging port inside of it. This way things could be charging and stowed at the same time.

Third. I miss the catch all tray in the main center console for smaller items.

And last - I'm not sure about the DVD system yet. I installed a DVD system in my wife's edge that played the sound through the FM transmitter (without using the headphones) Because of where I live I found that I needed to constantly change the FM channel due to reception. I had my dealer install a FM booster which did eliminate this issue. My previous Expedition had a factory installed DVD which all I needed to do was push the AUX button on the radio and all was good. It appeared that the Expedition DVD did not operate through a FM transmitter and was direct to the radio. I didn't realize that Ford went the FM transmitter route with this DVD system. I should have did a little more homework first but its a simple fix if a booster needs to be installed. I still need to try it out.

All of these things are minor for me and I could list several more if I were talking about all my past cars. The Ex Platinum is still far superior!! .

I think the Ford OEM Headrest Invision DVD system is poorly designed, the FM Modulation is terrible. Can you provide a link to the FM Modulation Booster you bought please.

I think the Ford OEM Headrest Invision DVD system is poorly designed, the FM Modulation is terrible. Can you provide a link to the FM Modulation Booster you bought please.

I wish I could. It was dealer installed and I never received it.

This is a pic of an XLT and not a Platinum like what the OP has.
If that is a pic of a white XLT then it is one with the optional 20" polished aluminum wheels. I believe the grille in the XLT and Limited looks the same.
XLT standard 18" wheel.

Peter

Attachments

• 2016 XLT wheel.jpg
    2016 XLT wheel.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 742

Yes the base, xlt, and limited all have the same grill.

So, my wife and I stopped at the dealer last Saturday to pick up the plates for the Platinum and we were driving through the lot. My wife stated telling me go another row over and asked "whats that!!" "I like that!" Guess we now have two new cars in the stable. Im smiling cause the Platinum was kind of a family car now we have his and hers. :)

IMG_2345_zpsbts7akup.jpg

I saw that 16 Edge Sport with those 21" Flat black wheels in Shadow Black it looks amazing.

I saw that 16 Edge Sport with those 21" Flat black wheels in Shadow Black it looks amazing.

Agree - the wheels really make the car standout. The warden's (wife :D) favorite color is a candy apple red so she loves the ruby red. Me...I'm partial to the Shadow Black.

Back