Advanced HID Install: Write-up | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Advanced HID Install: Write-up

I had what seemed to be a unique install with my HIDs. Most aftermarket kits are designed to leave you high beams high and dry. I was looking to make them function no matter what was selected, whether it be high or low beam. I also wanted my KC Daylighters to function when the stalk was in the high position while leaving the HIDs in the stock headlights on.

After some research, wiring the HIDs off of both the high and low beams would leave a "gap" while the power was swapped from one wire to the other. This would leave a temporary dark road(not wanted!) and is not the best for the ballasts and such.

So after some research and poking and proding around with a test light, I figured out how to wire it up....onto the write-up!

What you will need:
HID kit, I got my from CQ Light
I opted for the 5000k 9007 bulb type kit for its whiteness

DSC01321_Small_.jpg

1 Universal relay (can be found at any auto parts store)

Approx. 12ft of 12ga. wire (lighter gauge is probably acceptable)

1 Quick connect

Assorted connectors, crimper, stripper, Soldering iron, basic hand tools

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

**Make sure to disconnect the battery before beginning!**

In order to get to a wire needed for the installation you must remove the trim piece surrounding the gauges and steering wheel.

In order to do this, I followed an already well written write-up by bigtigexplorer.

Dead Link Removed

Removal of the gauge cluster is not necessary!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

After that is removed, find the Red/Yellow wire that is located on the headlight switch connector. This is the kick on wire for the Headlights that goes to the headlight relay.

DSC01326_Small_.jpg

Using some speaker wire I had laying around (heavy duty wire is not needed at all for this part) I spliced into this wire using a quick connect.

DSC01330_Small_.jpg

I then ran the wire through the firewall through an existing gromet into the engine compartment.

DSC01331_Small_.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next I began working on the lights themselves. The bulbs mount in the housing as a normal 9007 bulb would. I then mounted the ignitors and ballasts near the headlight region, making sure that the wiring would reach. The mounting of these items is dependant on your application.

Passanger side:
DSC01332_Small_.jpg

Driver side:
DSC01336_Small_.jpg

Next in line is the wiring. I mounted the relay(can be seen on the drivers side picture behind the battery hold down)

A power cable was made to proper size with an inline fuse.

DSC01333_Small_.jpg

and connected to tab 30 on the relay.

The kick on wire from behind the dash was connected to tab 86, and a ground was ran to the chassis from tab 85.

The kit included 9007 sockets to plug directly into the stock wiring and had another connector to plug into the ballast. I cut this harness in half. I was only interested in the section that plugs into the ballasts.

I then made another section of wire to connect the relay to the ballasts. A ground was also screwed into the chassis from the ballast connector.

DSC01335_Small_.jpg

The newly made harness is then connected to tab 87 on the relay and properly ground on the ballast end.

Place a 20 amp fuse into the harness from the battery to the relay, reconnect the battery and test. You will need to reconnect the headlight switch inside.

This was "designed" to work with both the knob to turn the lights on, and the autolights.

If you have any questions, something is unclear, need more pictures, or help in general I would be happy to help in any way. Some of the wiring is overkill, but you're dealing with your headlights, something I don't want to be without at night!

After completing this you should be able to move your turn signal stalk from low to high without any change in the headlights.

Extra pictures:

DSC_0010_Small_.jpg

DSC01339_Small_.jpg

DSC_0001_Small_.jpg

5000k HIDs in Diamond Clear housings with SilverStar Fogs vs. SilverStar heads in Diamond Clear housings

DSC_0004_Small_.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How did you wire them up?

If they're from CQLight, the stock works ok, but I really don't trust it and recomend something similar to the way I did. Back roads with no light is very dangerious if in fact you were to bump the hi/lo beam stalk.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well my kit came with a wire that lets u run them on hi/lo and it does not affect anything, they just stay on =]

Guys, there are some 9007 kits that have a halogen bulb for the highs incorporated into the same base right beside the Xenon HID bulbs. I haven't heard how well these work though. For those of us who have daytime running lights, this set up would work otherwise you have to disable your DRL's.

You can also buy telescopic HID kits which I believe are like or are the same as bi-xenon set ups where bulbs have a blinder type mechanism that moves to open up more light when switched to the highs. DRL's would still have to be disabled for this set up.

that looks great. do you actually notice a difference with the fog lights on whiel using the hid's? ive got a kit from my car ill be installing on my explorer soon, maybe this weekend if i find the time. and id like to upgrade the bulb in my fogs but if its not gonna produce a noticable amount of light then why waste the money :)

Looks awesome!couple of questions thou..how did you take care of the glare? aimed the headlights low? any encounters with the local police yet? how 'bout when you get an inspection? swap them out back to regular bulbs? my major concern is too much glare that it draws uneccessary attention & i dont know if its ok to install HID kits here in VA.

Sorry to reply to an old thread. FexplorerV8, were they easy to install?

I live in Montana. I don't do a lot of driving at night, but night driving is somewhat dangerous because of the deer. It seems my headlights on my '96 explorer just aren't bright enough, even on high beams.

My lenses are fogged quite a bit. Is my best bet to replace the lenses and bulbs? Or to do an HID + bumper lights (on high beams) like this thread details?

The biggest concern is having enough light to see deer at night.

hey todd i got a question for yah. I just ordered a pair of the projector/reflector 1 piece lights that just had a group buy on and was wanting to make it into a quad beam. Could i just use your same harness but have the output that you had set to the daylighters go to the reflectors?

hey todd i got a question for yah. I just ordered a pair of the projector/reflector 1 piece lights that just had a group buy on and was wanting to make it into a quad beam. Could i just use your same harness but have the output that you had set to the daylighters go to the reflectors?

Well, I'm not Todd, but I can help ya' anyways. :p

Yes, if you use his setup and, instead of wiring the relay to power a pair of Daylighters, you would just run those wires to the sockets for the high beam bulbs, and you'd be golden.

HTH.

This thread doesn't cover the daylighters. If you wire up the HIDs like I have in the first post you will plug the connector from the housings into the stock connector. It will pull power for high beams only then. I have mine set up this exact way.

HID low beams- custom harness with relay from battery as in post 1
Halogen high beams- connected to factory connector using all existing harnesses from the light housing and vehicle wiring.

I had the daylighters wired through a similar system but pulled the turn on signal from the high beam lead on the vehicle harness. You can do the high beams like that as well. Some say you get more light, I don't think there will be much of a difference once the vehicle is running.

I need some help guys . I made the seperate harness and I hooked it all up, but I just realized that none of my dash lights light up anymore. It is also telling me that I should check my headlights . I need help

I'd check the fuses for the dash lights. If you made up a separate harness you are no longer utilising the factory connectors so the computer thinks the bulbs are burnt out. Some resistors should fix that. That is out of my area of expertise though.

it turns out i didn't have my dimmer plugged in all the way ..... just took me 3 hours to figure that out. Well now my truck is finally back to looking like a truck after having no grille for 4 weeks.

Back