Advice needed for ranger/explorer off roading | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Advice needed for ranger/explorer off roading

gonegonzo

Reaction score
City, State
Wellsville , Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Explorer
OK off roaders , this is a big Q&A session so be patient OK ?

I've been off roading since the early 70's mainly with VW buggies and later with basically a stock K5 Blazer. I've had a several year hiatus and now want to get back into off roading .

Simple to say but ............ VW buggy parts are becommming scarce without buying a lot of aftermarlet high $$$$ items . It becomes un affordable .

I'd like to experiment with the Ford Ranger and Explorer for an off road rig . I will be building two of them , one for me and the other for my son and grandson . I'd like to keep them low buck and do all the building in the garage . I have fab and framebuilding skills as does my son . I'd like to build the projects with easy to find junk yard parts if possible.

With this in mind , can you more expeienced Ranger/Explorer enthusiasts suggest what years and models to look for and what ones to steer clear of ?

I had a 92 Explorer that ate 6 auromatic tranny's in the 5 yeras I had it. Are the automatics in later years any better or are they junk as well ? Should I look for standard tranny trucks only ?

These rigs will also be driven short distances 5-6 miles on the road to and from different off road areas so they will have to be kept street legal .

I hope I included enough info to get good advice .

Thx
Gonzo

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

for off roading you are gonna want a TTB setup, 1st gen explorers and up to 97 rangers. A manual trans will be far better than an auto, but if you go with a ranger 95 and up have a better trans

^^ I would go with that...:scratch:..I think I did...:D

Manual trans, manual hubs, and manual 4x4 make offroading a more pleasurable experience..Unless you hate sticks..

Cheap cheap fun, would be a 1990 Bronco 2, allready has dana 35 TTB up front, try to find one with a 5spd, make sure to not overheat it cause the 2.9 will crack heads, do 2inch skyjacker lift coils up front, strap the coils to bucket tower so they don't come out when flexing, put explorer rear leafs springs on it to level out the rear with front, run a 31.10.50, either buy a lunch box locker or weld the rearend. This will take you down most trails. Make sure to put lockouts on and get rid of auto hubs. Older b2's would be ok also cause you can pick up D35TTB from explorers junkyard or CL for next to nothing. Try to get a 3.73 or 4.10 setup. All this can be done for super cheap. :)

My 95 Explorer XLT, had TT, warrior shackles, 32s, 4.10s. Auto went everywhere I pointed it. Even Colorado Carange canyon( Boulder) with no problems. I would still be wheeling it today if my son had not killed it.

Tim

Back