Advice on lift? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Advice on lift?

Quin

Reaction score
City, State
Yellowknife, NT
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hey guys. I have a 1998 explorer, it needs a bit of work.

I want to change all the suspension components up front and shocks all around. The leaf springs are sagging as well.

I'm not going to do any hardcore off-roading but I would like it to be capable. I have no problem replacing all the worn out parts but there seems to be so much that I might as well lift it now.

Should I bother lifting it? As far as I know there is only a superlift kit for it. I wanted to know what would come with the kit and what I will have to order on the side.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you serious? Ever heard of the forum phrase called "Do a search, it has been covered a million times", not to mention the sticky's posted on the top of this forum labeled lift your X and tire and lift fitment?

Are you serious? Ever heard of the forum phrase called "Do a search, it has been covered a million times", not to mention the sticky's posted on the top of this forum labeled lift your X and tire and lift fitment?

little harsh there man, cool off a bit

little harsh there man,

Little harsh? By what standard do you gauge that on? Do you honestly think I was being harsh. I mean damn, he has been a member for 8 mths now, and this is his first post. You had to of scrolled right over the stinky that tells you tire and lift applications for you to go by. And look at all the fine threads in here that have illustrations of work performed and the end result, and most have named the kit they bought, and where they got it. There is a lot of great threads to go by in here.

cool off a bit

No need, I am chilled in the house with the A/C cranked, but thanks for the concern.

Originally posted by Quin
Should I bother lifting it?

I do not know, should you? Seems you woud be the only one that can answer that question.I do not want you to get upset at me if I tell you to go ahead and lift it and you did not like it after you did.

As far as I know there is only a superlift kit for it. I wanted to know what would come with the kit and what I will have to order on the side.

Why do you not go into the sticky mentioned and look up the part number that they spoon fed you with and check it out online. It even has pictures to illustrate the contents of the kit, and options to choose from.

all i am saying is you kinda freaked out on him, i mean you got real angry at him for something that you didnt need to. He obviously isnt on here every day like you or me so maybe he doesnt know what the F is going on. im just saying that you should give as much respect as you want to get man. and by cool off i meant to not freak out.

all i am saying is you kinda freaked out on him, i mean you got real angry at him for something that you didnt need to. He obviously isnt on here every day like you or me so maybe he doesnt know what the F is going on. im just saying that you should give as much respect as you want to get man. and by cool off i meant to not freak out.

I know what you meant and I am not heated at you. What gets me half the time is that the sticky threads are right there. And if you read them and then have a question, then that is great. But when you start a thread in the modified section with out making an attempt to do such is not, and is aggrevating to most. As I stated earlier, covered a million times. :thumbsup:

You can do a TT up front and shackles in the rear for about two inches of lift. That's what I'm running and it does quit well wit light off roaring and the lift is cheap. TT. Is free besides alignment afterwards and shackles you can either buy from autozone for just shy of $20 or buy online I'm just don't remember the site but the ones from the zone do just fine for me

Well if you're not going to do alot of wheeling, you're better off with just maybe doing the Torsion Twist (tt) and shackles WAR153 in the rear to lift the rear a little but fair warning they will end up flattening your springs more eventually. And then add a nice set of BFG A/T or M/T's along with some sway bar quick disco's and you'll do alright on some trails and get some flex. But in the future do a search for the subject in mind before posting a thread. Good Luck.

He there 96xplorer get the bee out of your backside everyone might not be so computer savvy as as you so don't be a wanker and any advice would be appreciated

He there 96xplorer get the bee out of your backside everyone might not be so computer savvy as as you so don't be a wanker and any advice would be appreciated

It is just general forum rule to do a search before posting a thread, he could have said it a little nicer yes, but it is forum rule that some newbs do not realize.

It is just general forum rule to do a search before posting a thread, he could have said it a little nicer yes, but it is forum rule that some newbs do not realize.

X 1000 :thumbsup:

Originally posted by Pitt7542

1) I have no bee in my backside NOOB, but thanks for caring.

2) It has nothing to do with computer savvy, it is called forum courtesy, its called "SEARCH". I am not sympathetic to laziness. You want answers, you want to learn to do something, well it takes the want to read, and not hoping someone is just going to arbitrarily going to do it for you, which is called being lazy.

3) Advice? Advice about lift? For that it is in the Sticky you tripped over before posting here and every other thread in the Modified section. Only advice I could give you is READ before posting and then ask all the questions you want. I will be more than happy to answer the questions you may have if I can. But I can tell if someone searched or not, just by what they ask, and how they ask it. Call it intuition if you want, or magic, or mind reading, whatever floats your boat.

All of us on here that have modified there X's did so by READING other members trials and tribulation and success threads and STICKIES(For you NOOBS, stickies are what we call spoon feeding, so you do not have to start a thread and say I searched but could not find it, HELP.), and also by hands on experience that allowed us to do these things.

We members do not start writing threads just for the hell of it, we share our experiences to allow you all to learn what and what not to do and for best results and what works and what not works.

4) This is what we also call spoon feeding, in 3 seconds I found this info, and now I am sharing my computer savvy ways with you, and here is some useful threads to read.....

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208483

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240957

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289202

Wow 96 get off your high horse man you're doing all this blastin on the guy when you should be saying constructive stuff. i mean aren't we supposed to be helping each other on here? Correct me if I'm wrong but geez man...no need to run a fellow Ford lover away over this...

Back