Dead mounty= my new project | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dead mounty= my new project

Look up "4.0 DOHC" in the search form and check out what one industrious Swedish member did to a 4.0 OHV Cologne engine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

once again! haha go with the navigator engine, over here you can get one at salvage yard for around $750, how you would cram it in there i would wanna see =] haha but hey with time everything is possible! on mine i was gonna install a 5.8 stroked to a 427 but my daily driver died so now this ones my daily! an for now its staying a 4.0 =[

the guy that made the 4.0 2.9 is a beast. there is no way I could do that

True on that.. No way I could go that either...I'll just throw a 4.6 with transmission in my explorer.

That engine is what Ford should have built. Ford should have also switched the block to aluminum at some point and do away with the iron. An aluminum 4.0 DOHC would have been a good candidate for their twin turbo Ecoboost project.

Good, I was correct on the iron block. Yeah a DOHC 4.0L would have been sweet! Especially since the parts were from a 2.9 Cologne V6.
Aluminum block would have been good on getting better gas-mileage and less weight.

Like I've said this engine was due for an update a while ago.

Ok guys and couple of girls out there. I have been on the mounty all day and got the motor and trans 99% out. We took some pics but i left my camera in the truck and am way too lazy to walk out a get it tonite. ( Normally I am like this but, I have been up 2 days straight and removed a engine/trans today with NO sleep.)

Goodnite everyone, I am loggin out and goin to bed. In the morning we will post some pics of todays progress.

Alright sounds good. Can't wait to see some pics. keep us updated.

Man with the motors you picked your looking at a full engine tranny t case swap. That's a helllllll of a project is say go with the 5.4 or go diesel if you want a beast but then your looking at upgraded front springs also. A cummins 3.9 puts out 265 ft lbs stock and a 5.9 puts down more then enough in stock form. If you want something that's easy to tune with lots of torque 5.9 12 valve and crank up the fuel pressure. Then hold on cuz youre in for one Hell of a ride!

Man with the motors you picked your looking at a full engine tranny t case swap. That's a helllllll of a project is say go with the 5.4 or go diesel if you want a beast but then your looking at upgraded front springs also. A cummins 3.9 puts out 265 ft lbs stock and a 5.9 puts down more then enough in stock form. If you want something that's easy to tune with lots of torque 5.9 12 valve and crank up the fuel pressure. Then hold on cuz youre in for one Hell of a ride!

Would a 02-05 explorer 4.0 to 4.6 require a t case swap?

If you go with the lightning motor plan on trimming the hood frame and maybe having the sc hanging out of the hood. The lighting motor is so dam tall with that supercharger. My buddy still has a wrecked lightning sitting behind his shop so I was comparing it to the mounty. From my measurements the sc will not let the hood close unless you start cutting. Go big or to home so keep us updated.

I was just going to get a regular 4.6L I was looking at one, it was from a sheriff's ford explorer 06, and no clue on the mileage, but it was $700 including the transmission and t-case.

The idea of the 4.6 on my 05 X evolved from fiction to more likely reality, after it seems and sounds like my time chain tensioner is having the usual problem. I may wait a little while before starting this

No tcase swap needed for the 4.0 to 4.6

Remember that the 06 was a 4th gen with the 3v and 6 speed auto tranny so you will need the wiring harness and engine/tranny ecu.700 is a steal for that... I would buy it even if you don't use it. Throw it on eBay and you will easily triple your money

Be nice to be able to buy it. My X is in the shop...at least $1k for the repair. :( Don't look like I'm going to be able to buy the engine. Maybe if its still around in a few months I'll snatch it up along with the ECU and wiring.

If a person wanted to swap from a 4.0 to a 4.6, will all the wiring and gauges work? I know, I need the engine wiring and computer, but what about the other stuff, like all the accessories and stuff? I have an 04, so it's drive by wire too. Looking into a 3 valve 4.6 with the 5r55 trans.

well gang, I cant find the stupid cord to my camera. Whenever I locate it I will upload the pics. Til then I am back on the mounty.

Alright. You have the motor and trans out yet or not?

Alright everybody Here come the pics!
Picture051.jpg

Picture052.jpg

Picture053.jpg

Picture054.jpg

Picture055.jpg

Picture056.jpg

CHANNIN D MAYNE HAHAHA

Picture057.jpg

Picture058.jpg

Picture059.jpg

Picture060.jpg

The easy part is done now. I still have to strip all of the old wiring and stuff out. The engine bay is going to get a good cleaning also.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks good. Did you say what you are replacing your 4.0L with?

Back