After cranking and taking foot off pedal engine dies! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

After cranking and taking foot off pedal engine dies!

roodi

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta,Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 xlt
Ford Explorer 95 XLT 4WD 130K
Hi Guys. This would happen every now and then. Last time it was 2 months ago. It would crank and engine come on, but as soon as I took my foot off the gas, rpm goes to zero and engine dies, Sometimes it took 10 or more cranks(no order) to again become normal, However yesterday it again started that and it's serious this time because it just wouldn't stay one. I had to push brake and at the same time other foot on gas to keep the engine running and then shift to drive and take my foot off brake. As far as I'm on the road and pushing on gas it's OK, but when I am close to come to a standstill and need to stop rpm goes to zero like it wants to die down, so again I have to brake with left foot and at the same time step on gas pedal. This time it dose not appear to go away. Well actually it was again corrected for 10 minutes during several stops . I thought it's again back to normal but wrong! There is no order or no sign or sound alert
Now more information that might help you to pinpoint the problem, I considered this happens mostly when engine in hot, that's when I have driven it for some time not the first carnk in the day when engine is cold. another thing is that battery is strong and voltage gauge is normal level. it would not go up and down with rpm. I myself suspected alternator, but shouldn't the voltage gauge oscillate if this is the case, and also the battery is new, lights won't dim with or without rpm up and down. Maybe something in fuel system?
Please help! I just need the car and can't use it, it's hard to brake and use gas and sometimes it dies at traffic light and other cars can't move etc.. :hammer:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the truck runs well besides at idle and can be "pushed hard" then it's probably not the fuel system unless it's dumping way too much fuel in at idle, you'd probably be able to smell fuel under the hood.

I'd guess it's your IAC valve.

i'd agree that its the IAC. you can clean it and maybe it will work better and be a temp fix, but it will ultimately need to be fixed. your description of it is pretty dead on for an IAC problem. i did the 2 foot brake and gas thing for a few days when mine crapped out on me and yeah.. its not really fun.

Thanks guys for quick response. I went on other forums and also found out overybody in similar situation points to IAC, I could locate it and opened and did a cleaning as best as I could. I understand most everybody says it can be a temp remedy. I won't know until I drive it for couple days and see if it happens again. At least before spending money I know I tried it. Thanks again
I'll update you.

p.s. by the way I didn't have carbon cleaner sprays, I just soaked paper towel with regular gas (yes from my lownmower tank!) and worked all around inside those two chambers. I know the difference between before and after is like night and day! hope the gas did not hurt anything inside. It's my #1 cleaner for most any job! :smoke:

using gasoline as a cleaner is not only very dangerous (much more flammable than most cleaners and more toxic than most cleaners), but it can damage and erode parts.

So far so good!

:burnout:
Guys I thought I better let you know that I have not had the problem since cleaning the IAC. Looks like it took care of the problem. However there's also a chance that it's on another "Behave Cycles". I guess I won't know. Considering how bad it become last time week ago, I mostly think it was IAC.
And something else, IT LOOKS LIKE I HAVE BETTER MILAGE. It definitely has improved. Thanks again :thumbsup:

Back