Aftermarket Factory Window Tint | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket Factory Window Tint

LStoudenmire

Reaction score
City, State
Charleston, SC
If anyone is interested in tinting their windows to match the rear glass(brassy shine) on 91-94's, I have found the window tint that is sold at Wal-mart (20%) to be the same as the factory, if not almost identical. Make sure you check the tint before installing though, as I have gotten 2 out of 4 rolls which had a defect in the tint (a line running through the entire roll). The quality is not quite as good as what I have on my Ex' presently, but it does match the factory if that is what you are looking for.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you remember what number the tint was, like 5000, 7000 or whatever, and was the color just like medium gray 20% or was it actually brass or bronze 20%.

I just got a full tint job. The installer used Johnson brand film. 35% in front, 35% added to the rear, and 55% in the jump windows. It looks good and visibility wasn't reduced too much. $180, lifetime warranty against bubbles, discoloration, or scratches. Johnson film seems to be one of the best, as I've never seen it discolor, and it lets a good amount of visible light through so I can see out. but it's hard to see in.

I have the box at home. I'll check it and let you know tonight. I'm almost sure it was 7000 series.

Sorry. Didn't get to post last night. The tint is the 7500 Series 20% Dk Gray. Just make sure you get a good roll before you apply.

Yes.

In the cargo windows they used one layer, gray.
In the jump windows they used 2 layers: the same gray and a bronze.
In the front windows they just used a lighter gray.

No, the windows don't quite match but the difference doesn't stand out and they still look very good.

Back