Aftermarket options for primary tensioner? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket options for primary tensioner?

4x4xbrian.com

Reaction score
City, State
Watkins Glen Ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 ranger
Callsign
Btilden
Anyone know of aftermarket solutions for primary chain tensioner (4.0 sohc)

I replaced mine with the ford tsd recomended part, it was silent for mabee 3k miles but now sounds almost as before...

cloyes makes one, anyone used it?

are there others?

is it possible to use a rathet style tensioner like the push rod 4.0?

I'm ready to design my own, this sucks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How many parts did you replace? There are several different OEM parts that need to be changed. If you only did one, then that part is not the source of the new noise.

Primary set

I replaced the primary tensioner, guide chain and sprockets.

the noise went away for a while but slowly returned to exactly the same as it was.

You should have also done the two tensioners which bolt directly into the heads from the outside. The front one is the most common part to go bad, they have a mechanical spring in them which weakens over time. That spring and oil pressure keep the cam chain tight, when the spring weakens, the chain becomes too loose.

I appreciate your input, but the question I really need answered is: Has anyone made an aftermarket, upgraded or performance tensioner. fords design sucks. The ohv 4.0l uses a ratchet style tensioner which the sohc should have and needs.

The OEM designs don't lend themselves to aftermarket solutions.

I think you are neglecting to recognize how many parts are in the valvetrain, and how many need maintenance. The problem is not just one part, it's a few parts. Most people with the SOHC assume that nothing is wrong as long as there is no odd noise, and they only work on it until that noise goes away.

Search through this forum for more of these SOHC threads. If you do, you will discover that they all include the parts I keep mentioning to people. The total of all of those parts is less than $200. The labor alone to work on any one of them is far more than $200. It makes little sense to spend a lot on less than all of the suspect parts, and leave the others alone. If you know which parts need servicing in a typical age SOHC, then do them all. Replace them all at one time, the labor is virtually identical, then you don't have to worry about any of it for years to come. Regards,

The OEM designs don't lend themselves to aftermarket solutions.

I think you are neglecting to recognize how many parts are in the valvetrain, and how many need maintenance. The problem is not just one part, it's a few parts. Most people with the SOHC assume that nothing is wrong as long as there is no odd noise, and they only work on it until that noise goes away.

Search through this forum for more of these SOHC threads. If you do, you will discover that they all include the parts I keep mentioning to people. The total of all of those parts is less than $200. The labor alone to work on any one of them is far more than $200. It makes little sense to spend a lot on less than all of the suspect parts, and leave the others alone. If you know which parts need servicing in a typical age SOHC, then do them all. Replace them all at one time, the labor is virtually identical, then you don't have to worry about any of it for years to come. Regards,

I agree with just about everything you said, except for the first sentence. I think Dorman, and their numerous improved plastic intake manifolds would beg to differ. Of course, the aftermarket CAN make an improvement in an oem part that is known to be prone to failure. Ford themselves made some improvement in later updates to the setup, at least in the material used, no? It's just a question of whether or not the aftremarket thinks they can sell enough of the parts to justify the engineering and tooling. Given that these things are getting older, and oem are known to discontinue service parts with no notice or consideration for existing owners, we should all be emailing/calling Dorman everyday, asking for these parts to be offered by them, through there OE Solutions line. Let them know there is a market for it. If not, we may soon find oursleves unable to repair SOHC motors, once Ford decides to pull the plug on parts.

I dont think they'll pull the plug anytime soon, but who knows. overall I feel its a great engine.

the ford "upgraded" part is better in that it won't fall apart. but it is no better at retaining tension in the rpm " rattle" band

As I stated in the first post I know cloyes makes one and was hoping for someone to jump in and say they are great, or they are worse, or at least a hey lets find out. I'm tempted to try one although i expect the same result from the same design.

The issue here is the valvetrain, which is not something many aftermarket parts are going to be available for.

The plastic guide that Ford upgraded in 2002 is obviously better, hopefully great. The tensioners behind the timing cover all use sprung pieces of flat steel, not an easy design to change or replace. The cam chain tensioners have steel springs in them which seem to weaken too fast compared to typical engine life. Those should be changed often like a common timing belt.

Follow up 3 years later

Well three years, and 30,000 miles later the engine is still together but really noisy again and I'm sick of it again...
So I replaced the primary set and again it shut right up. nice and quiet, I doubt it will last any better than before but Fu(k it, I'll try. I'll know in a week.

So again I'll ask, has anyone used the CLoyes or the MANY other aftermarket parts? like the cheapo ebay kits.. or parts-store house brands

Back