Aftermarket remotes for power door locks | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket remotes for power door locks

Captainrich

Reaction score
City, State
South Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer Sport Trac
My 05 XLS has PDL but the remotes were not with the truck when I bought it. I did a bit of looking online and found that they were not included onthe XLS, just the power locks. True??
There are several aftermarket remote systems that claim they are "Universal" for vehicles equipped with factory PDLs. Bull Dog, I think I saw on EBay. Has anyone installed one of these on an XLS?
see link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Bulldog...Parts_Accessories&hash=item51a9b0eba8&vxp=mtr

Thanks guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

keyless

Before you go through all that trouble just getting a key fob why dont you either put in a alarm system or Remote start that will do the same thing plus more!

That's the idea. I'm looking for an aftermarket system. I really don't need the alarm. Remote start would bo OK to have but i'd really never use it either.

I wouldn't either but would be nice to have.

I found the bull-dog kit locally for $12.49, so i went that route. It was a quick 30 minute install including guessing at what type of lock system the 2nd gen's used. If you happen to go that route the 2nd gen's use a type b system and i would assume the 3rd gen's would too. Make sure you have a good wiring diagram handy. I had to repair broken wires while i was in there so i just traced the wires from the switch.

www.the12volt.com it has wiring schematic and colors by year make and model and wiring for both stereo and all remote start/keyless/alarm info you need

Captainrich, plug your VIN into the "Vehicle" tab HERE and see if it shows keyless entry. I guess there may be Tracs out there without it but I've never seen one. If so just buy a fob. Doesn't yours have the door keypad?

Not equipped from factory. Just bought a viper keyless entery system and it looks like a PITA to install. I have the 12volt.com diagram but this looks like no fun.

honestly the Directed electronics brand of car electronics are not that bad to install. it looks like a rats nest but take your time and you will do fine.

i used to work car audio at circuit city for two years so im very knowledable on this subject

Mine looked like a rats nest too, but i only ended up needing 5 of the 18 wires. it would have been 7 if i had hooked up the ignition immobilizer or the horn/parking light notification.

Back