• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket running boards

mkmcfrlnd

Reaction score
City, State
NEPA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hey all,

Just picked up an 06 XLS yesterday. 25k miles, and absolute peach so far.

The wife's first (and only) complaint was the lack of running boards/steps.. I could go either way, molded boards or tubular steps..

My biggest question is, since I've searched and found that most will mount without drilling, just a few bolts, is where do you guys purchase your accessories? I really don't want to get factory stuff from the dealer, because I'm sure I can get a better deal aftermarket. If anyone has a recommendation or two on sites to check out, I'd really appreciate it.

It'll help me out in the future, looking to go the heated mirrors route and a few other upgrades, so helping me out now will prevent me bugging everyone further later on.

Thanks in advance, I appreciate it! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check out e-bay.

STU

Not exactly what I was looking for, but I saw a few over there that I'vesaved in case I don't get more of a response. appreciate it!

Honestly, I would go factory. Find some on e-bay. I have tried Westin black nerf bars on my 07 Mariner, and Westin stainless tube bars on my 08 Mariner. While they both looked different (kind of sets your vehicle apart), and install was easy, I wished I had factory boards. Factory just looks/fits better. Also, if you live anywhere near the salt belt, the Westin brackets will show signs of surface rust after 1 winter. Don't believe the "lifetime warranty" that many claim for the Stainless bars. Sure, the bars are stainless, but the mounting brackets and bolts are not. Kind of pointless IMO. Stainless bars will be just as much as factory boards. Black bars will be less, but only look good for 2 years (if you live anywhere where salt exists).

Honestly, I would go factory. Find some on e-bay.

I've had some difficulty finding actual factory ones on ebay. I have seen factory style molded steps, that's probably the way I'll go.

I guess the prevailing thought here is to purchase parts on ebay. I had originally posted because I wasn't sure where to go for parts, but if most people are going to say ebay, I guess I'll just let this thread die..

Thanks!

I've had some difficulty finding actual factory ones on ebay. I have seen factory style molded steps, that's probably the way I'll go.

I guess the prevailing thought here is to purchase parts on ebay. I had originally posted because I wasn't sure where to go for parts, but if most people are going to say ebay, I guess I'll just let this thread die..

Thanks!

You might consider Googling "Ford parts online" or "Ford accessories online". There are a number of Ford dealerships/OEM outlets who offer factory parts/accessories at significantly less than you would pay at your local dealership. FWIW, the factory 2006+ moulded/aluminum tubular steps bars are much more "manly" than the "soccer mom" moulded running boards.

Chris

Back